1979 suspension upgrade vs new Vette

EdMan

Jun 13, 2015
Hot Springs, AR
I was wondering how well a complete suspension/steering upgrade to a '79 Z would compare to the handling of a new car such as vette. Such as 4 wheel coil-over shocks, new a-arms, brakes, 4 pt rear-in, larger wheels, etc.
Will a newer car just out perform a completed updated 78-81 Camaro. Wondering if its worth spending a lot of money to still be out performed by newer cars.
What you all think? Just FYI I am a newbie to this stuff so doing a lot of reading.
Thanks in advance!
Eddie

DB Z28

Veteran Member
Nov 30, 2003
Fond Du Lac
Save your money a new vette stock will run circles around our second gen unless you heavily modified your car and that will cost almost as a much as a new vette

Z28PILOT

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 8, 2009
Emerald Isle , NC
DB Z28 said:
Save your money a new vette stock will run circles around our second gen unless you heavily modified your car and that will cost almost as a much as a new vette

Yup......to make a second gen handle like a C7 would take more money that the C7 would cost if you had to pay to have it done.

C7 is a pocket rocket . Whole diff ball game .

EdMan

Jun 13, 2015
Hot Springs, AR
Well that's not what I wanted to hear. But it is hard to beat the looks of a nice old school Camaro!!! I was thinking of tearing down the Camaro and start from scratch with suspension/brakes/steering with LS engine and maybe 5 speed. It would be nice to have a old school Camaro that handled well with some power. Still might go down this route. I just love the looks of Camaro's.

grzewnicki

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Dec 9, 2009
Gordon from Jacksonville Fl
Many of us have invested in wheels/tires, springs, shocks, upper control arms, sub-frame connectors and greatly improved the handling for about $3000. There is a lot of parts out there for 2nd gens. I don't know how much Mary Pozzi (member here m pozzi and 11 time autocross champ) has invested in her car but she is probably at the pinnacle at what can be done to a second gen. see article: http://www.superchevy.com/features/1501-2014-super-chevy-suspension-and-handling-challenge-1973-camaro-rs-test/.

2 sponsors on here Custom Works (Keith) and PTFB Dave (Pro Touring F Body) will glady talk to you and help you figure out what you want to do and what parts you would need to accomplish it.

Zspoiler

Veteran Member
May 6, 2012
Federal Way, Washington
I don`t know if it is available any more.I have a 1979 Z-28 RS Camaro.. It is a Pro-touring Car It has a Vette Brakes C-4 Corvette adjustable suspension ,Baer brakes big sway bars ,frame connectors front frame connectors.and other modifications.Its more race car then street car.It took me a long time to build but I think would easily keep up with Corvette if not exceed it. And it was a lot of fun to build.

badazz81z28

Veteran Member
May 4, 2001
Alabama
For your camaro to even be comparable to a modern car, you would need all the latest / top of the line suspension parts. I mean, aftermarket frame, coil overs, modern engine, IRS, big tires, big brakes...You'll have over a $100k in a 1979 camaro to even compete with a stock $50-$75k C6 or Camaro. Disappointing, but true. Having a car designed ground up to handle will always beat a old school car with upgrades

Latest posts