1979 suspension upgrade vs new Vette

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by EdMan, Jun 28, 2015.

1. EdMan

EdMan New Member

I was wondering how well a complete suspension/steering upgrade to a '79 Z would compare to the handling of a new car such as vette. Such as 4 wheel coil-over shocks, new a-arms, brakes, 4 pt rear-in, larger wheels, etc.
    Will a newer car just out perform a completed updated 78-81 Camaro. Wondering if its worth spending a lot of money to still be out performed by newer cars.
    What you all think? Just FYI I am a newbie to this stuff so doing a lot of reading.
    Thanks in advance!
    Eddie

2. DB Z28

DB Z28 Veteran Member

Save your money a new vette stock will run circles around our second gen unless you heavily modified your car and that will cost almost as a much as a new vette

3. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yup......to make a second gen handle like a C7 would take more money that the C7 would cost if you had to pay to have it done.

C7 is a pocket rocket . Whole diff ball game .

4. nobreaks254

nobreaks254 Veteran Member

yep even my 03 corvette with z06 suspension would out handle my Camaro. Straight line is a different story.

5. EdMan

EdMan New Member

Well that's not what I wanted to hear. But it is hard to beat the looks of a nice old school Camaro!!! I was thinking of tearing down the Camaro and start from scratch with suspension/brakes/steering with LS engine and maybe 5 speed. It would be nice to have a old school Camaro that handled well with some power. Still might go down this route. I just love the looks of Camaro's.

6. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Many of us have invested in wheels/tires, springs, shocks, upper control arms, sub-frame connectors and greatly improved the handling for about $3000. There is a lot of parts out there for 2nd gens. I don't know how much Mary Pozzi (member here m pozzi and 11 time autocross champ) has invested in her car but she is probably at the pinnacle at what can be done to a second gen. see article: http://www.superchevy.com/features/1501-2014-super-chevy-suspension-and-handling-challenge-1973-camaro-rs-test/.

2 sponsors on here Custom Works (Keith) and PTFB Dave (Pro Touring F Body) will glady talk to you and help you figure out what you want to do and what parts you would need to accomplish it.

7. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

I don`t know if it is available any more.I have a 1979 Z-28 RS Camaro.. It is a Pro-touring Car It has a Vette Brakes C-4 Corvette adjustable suspension ,Baer brakes big sway bars ,frame connectors front frame connectors.and other modifications.Its more race car then street car.It took me a long time to build but I think would easily keep up with Corvette if not exceed it. And it was a lot of fun to build.

8. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

For your camaro to even be comparable to a modern car, you would need all the latest / top of the line suspension parts. I mean, aftermarket frame, coil overs, modern engine, IRS, big tires, big brakes...You'll have over a $100k in a 1979 camaro to even compete with a stock $50-$75k C6 or Camaro. Disappointing, but true. Having a car designed ground up to handle will always beat a old school car with upgrades

9. Z-WIZZ

Z-WIZZ Veteran Member

10. CAMeeks

CAMeeks Veteran Member