1979 Z-28 4spd

deus402

May 20, 2009
Omaha, NE
first order of business was to replace the broken springs. had to have it towed to my house, and it was so low it mangled the exhaust. sits up a little better now that it has leaf springs. i also threw on some air shocks for good measure. yeah blah blah blah, air shocks are bad. whatever. i like the rear end jacked up like that. also rides pretty nice, but the fronts are still completely shot.

deus402

May 20, 2009
Omaha, NE
had the original dealership paperwork in the glovebox, so i was able to get keys cut from the codes, as the car didn't come with any. fired right up with a new battery. also, got a nice bonus in the trunk: a case of bud heavy from 1994... (as identified by the newspaper stuck to it) threw them in the fridge overnight and gave it a shot. it was bad, but not as bad as i thought it was going to be. wasn't any worse than drinking a beer around a year old.

more rust, er, "patina", on the decklid.

all these pics were from about 3 months ago. at this point the car became my daily driver.

Last edited:

deus402

May 20, 2009
Omaha, NE
threw on some front shocks the other night, but haven't had a chance to drive it with them on yet, because i need to replace the heater core. since i already have the front wheel off, seems like now is a good time to do it. here is the new vs. the old. the car only has 63,000 miles on it, so those were probably the oem shocks.

deus402

May 20, 2009
Omaha, NE
Heater core replacement, step 1

my digital camera :dumper: the bed, so sorry for the bad camera phone pics. here is my progress that i made today on the heater core replacement. this is more of a pain than replacing the engine, IMO.

the guide says to remove the inner fender and passenger seat to save time. i would say its mandatory. its pretty easy to get them both off, and the job is already hard enough, no reason to make it harder. could you do it without removing the seat and inner fender? sure. but you could probably also get it done with only a pair of vice grips.

deus402

May 20, 2009
Omaha, NE
Heater core replacement, step 2

i removed the heater hoses, but skipped over taking the bolts/nuts from the engine compartment for now.

time to remove the plastic hump thingy

and then unclip the vacuum line and unbolt the fender well vent flap actuator thingy... like the tech article says, it will just lift off the rod, and you also have to unclip a spring.

deus402

May 20, 2009
Omaha, NE
Heater core replacement, step 3

remove the under dash vents, attached by four little bolts, then remove the big plastic tube that goes up. take the glovebox door off, then unbolt the metal strap that wraps around the cardboard part of the glovebox. there will be a screw on the bottom, and it clips on up top. then the cardboard part will slide out with some finessing.

deus402

May 20, 2009
Omaha, NE
Heater core replacement, step 4

now yank out the center console. undo the allen heads around the shifter boot bezel, or if yours is like mine, just lift it up because it's just sitting there. then remove the two bolts inside the center console compartment. lift out the compartment to reveal two more bolts underneath it, and there is one bolt on each side of the console attaching it to the dash. now just shift into 4th and slide it out.

Last edited:

deus402

May 20, 2009
Omaha, NE
Heater core replacement, step 5

now remove the center vent thing that was behind the console. should be pretty easy to find, there are two screws in the bottom, and one screw attaching the vent tube to the dash. you can then slide the vent tube out of the dash by pulling down and right, and get the whole thing out.