1979 Z 28 Exhaust question ...

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by RAII4-speed, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Glava

Glava Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The exhaust the OP is asking about is a 1979 Z/28 -its' possible that the 81 z/28 is different, but in 79 the rear exhaust comes out the opposite edge on the inlet. In this shot, the top resonator is the Walker replacement (Nice larger inlet) that I bought, with my original resonator under it with the tailpipe still attached.
    Again, not sure about 81 tips, but in 79 they are painted black -it's even referenced in the factory assembly manual. Z28 exhaust restoration 4.jpg

2. ZenBoy

ZenBoy New Member

Forgive the dumb question, but I’m clearly not the smartest guy in the room on this.

On my ‘78 Z28 (2nd owner, bought in ‘86), the original exhaust had a transverse-mounted muffler in the rear axle hump, and I was always under the impression that the factory exhaust only came this way - not with a dual turbo-style muffler setup.

Have I been under the wrong impression all this time?

3. Glava

Only the Z/28 has these, all the others had the transverse mounted.
    If you look at one of the ads Chevrolet ran, they showed that as the special Z/28 exhaust.

4. Glava

Actually, here it is in the factory literature. Z28 Literature.jpg Z28 Literature2.jpg

5. severum17

severum17 New Member

I am the original and still owner of a 77Z. The tips shown look correct. My car still has the original tail pipes with the tips. Mufflers were changed to turbo as I hit something and flattened the OE resonator. The 77 has a 2 pipes front into a single cat and then back into a dual resonator over the axle system
    I work for GM and at the time purchased both resonator and tail pipes. I still have them unused and in my attic with the part numbers on them. No, sorry they are not for sale, well maybe. The car now has headers but I still have the front xpipe, cat and y pipe system. Anyone has questions or wants to see pics, I can dig out the stuff for you. The OE system was restrictive but it is what it is. My car is mostly original with about 50,000 miles.

Attached Files: