1979 Z28 Missing Cowl Tag, Found Build Sheet

Discussion in 'VIN, Trim Tag & Drivetrain Decoding' started by Connella08, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Connella08

Connella08 New Member

hello all,

i have a 1979 Z28 that had the cowl tag removed from it at some point. this lead me to question if it was a genuine Z28. i was able to find the build sheet behind the rear seat and it is still readable. the car looks to be different than what the build sheet says in terms of decals, striping, color; things of that nature. i was hoping i might be able to get the community here to help me understand what decals and stripes the car had. mostly in question is the RPO codes BW1, B81, B89, D88, D92, 53A and 62I (this is an I and not a 1). i was also looking for clarification on the job sequence number coding. i think box number 79 is saying the LW is lower color, UP is upper color, but not sure what ST and W are. either way, i know 11 is supposed to be antique white exterior color as indication by the LW and UP boxes, but unsure of the BK code because i cannot find a color associated with it other than the assumed black. i also cannot find any information on box 105 decals GLD 28 (i assume this is a gold decal of sorts) and box 106 COL JACK TAN 2127.

any insight on these items would greatly help me in putting the car back to original. it currently is the original white base coat, but there are no stripes, no decals, no other colors really other than the tan interior.

thank you in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

Attached Files:

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Some of these things are semi-self explanatory on the build sheet.
    BW1 DEL D/LID EMB would be delete decklid emblem. Likely something standard on base Camaro, but not used on Z28
    B81 DELT BDY ORN is something much the same. Some ornamant not used on Z28.
    B98 BLK REVL MLD is black trim around the windows.
    D88 SPORT STRIPES--your Z28 stripes. Color would be listed elsewhere on the sheet. (53A)
    D92 TAPE DXHANDLE is the colored tape stuck on the door handles. Color determined by car color.

3. Connella08

Connella08 New Member

Gary,

BW1: i made the same assumption that maybe it was deleting something on a base model car that was not used on the Z28, but was not positive.
    B81: i am not sure what ornaments there would have been that would have been deleted. is this removing things like the chevy bowtie, and the camaro emblems? things of that nature? could it in any way possible remove striping?
    B98: i was not sure what it meant by "reveal" molding
    D88: i do not see on the car. would these stripes be on the hood and spanning from front to back across the trunk? my car is currently just solid white with no striping.
    D92: is this the interior door handles or the exterior?

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

B81: emblems like "camaro" would likely be deleted on Z28 and replaced with "Z28" emblem.
    D88: the striped on the lower sides of the car and the hood. They would be on all Z28 cars unless it also shows some decal delete option which I don't know if it was available in '79. If you don't have stripes, likely the car was repainted and stripes were left off.
    D92: the tape is on the exterior door handles so they match the car color covering up part of the handle.

5. Francesco

Francesco Veteran Member

Im no pro but are there bolt holes on the sides of the nose for a lip? If yes then its a genuine Z28.

6. Connella08

Connella08 New Member

well, now that i have the build sheet, i know its a genuine Z28.

now that i better understand the RPO codes, does anyone have any insight on the build sequence numbers 79, 105, and 106?

thank you guys for your help so far.

7. Francesco

Francesco Veteran Member

Gary or other experienced owners will be able to assist you with that. Mine is also a Zed but i dont have the build sheet and im still learning about my car thanks to the experienced users on the site. Is your block original?

8. Connella08

Connella08 New Member

as a matter of fact, my block is original. i have a thread in the projects section titled "gifted a 1979 "z28"", you should check it out. its a slow build, but im trying to do it right in order to do the car some justice.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  9. Francesco

Francesco Veteran Member

Oh cool! An original engine z28 is a great gift. I'll check out your thread.

Connella08 likes this.
  10. 70RamAirIII

70RamAirIII Pontiac-aholic

Congrats on finding a build sheet you lucky bum!!

Just be sure the vin matches your car, because these sheets were only found in cars when line workers couldn't have been bothered to throw them in the trash can, so they can be for other cars - not the car it was found in.
    It should be noted, that the end-all is the RPO 'Z28' right there!
    As explained by others some RPO codes were mostly for line workers to know what to install and what to NOT install.