1980 z basics

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by balloonpilot, Dec 18, 2020.

1. sandlapper

sandlapper Veteran Member

As said ... more carb tuning and/or re-jetting; or replacement.

Moreover; distributor curve(s). Both mechanical (centrifugal) and vacuum (vac canister) advances probably need their curves reconfigured. You can do this with a selection of springs & cans along with a dial-back timing light ... or send your dist out to an expert who uses a dist machine. Last I heard, that demigod in Colorado's SUN dist machine is down for the count KO'd; there are others around the US.

My first recommendation is Nelson Crozier near Charlotte NC:
    http://www.nelsonspecialties.com/

http://www.nelsonspecialties.com/distributor_magneto_blueprinting.html

2. balloonpilot

balloonpilot New Member

I have replaced the plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor.
    As I said, i tried to set the timing (with my timing light) but was unable to see the timing marks. I am freshening the marks up to try that again.

I understand I will have to change out the vacuum lines but that is why I am looking for direction on what is the base of what is needed. I do not want to replace all the lines to find out that most are not needed anyway.

If I had a diagram of what is the minimum needed and I set it up to that, then I will not be chasing ghosts.

I can keep changing things until all of it is new and never get it running any better if it is not set up in a way that is going to work anyway.

I appreciate all the advice but I need to know that I am starting with a solid base in order to troubleshoot any issues.

3. biker

biker Veteran Member

Sounds like a good logical approach. I dont have a diagram of any sort, but as someone else said, all you need hooked up to run properly is the pcv valve, the vacuum advance can on the distributor. You can even plug off the hose to the brake booster. Plug the vac line that goes to the air cleaner, plug the one feeding the tvs switch on top of the thermostat housing, make sure the electric choke wire is hooked up, I think that's about all you need to run the engine.

If you drive it, dont forget to reconnect the brake booster.

4. balloonpilot

balloonpilot New Member

thanks biker