1980 Z28 Convertible

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by indyzmike, Oct 24, 2007.

1. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Well, big changes are happening. Sorry, no progress to report on the car. I am doing good, learning a new job, and in the middle of moving 135 miles west of Milwaukee to my weekend house near Richland Center. I have all of the car parts here except the fenders and the main body. I have to bolt the frame to the body and assemble the front suspension enough to trailer it here. I have a storage garage waiting for it once it gets here. My home garage is full because my house is much smaller than the old one. Also, no basement. That is where the bulk of the car parts were. 70 trips up the steps last Sunday morning to get the parts out to the trailer to haul them here. Wish me luck on the getting the body and frame here. I might start on that in a couple weeks when the rest of the old house is empty.

2. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Wish you the best of luck with the new job. Hope things work out for you on this...

3. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Thanks Bandit723, I hope this works out. I bolted the subframe to the body and it is ready to weld to the subframe connectors this weekend. I am prepping the A arms and spindles this week for assembly to the subframe this weekend. New brake rotors and bearings are waiting at Napa.

4. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

I tried to weld the subframe connectors yesterday but my welder is too small. I will have to take the car to a shop to have that done. I worked on installing the A arms and next I will install the springs and spindles. I would post pics but I am using Photobucket and they suck.

Bandit723 likes this.
  5. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Sounds like you are making good progress. Not sure if you know it but you can upload pictures directly to your posts

6. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

18ABFD97-BD4D-4590-B486-1622A36211F3.jpeg Yayyy, some more progress, with more problems. I installed the springs and spindles last weekend. The second spring went better than the first because I learned that the spring has to be compressed more than I did the first one. Kind of a job to get the spring compressor out afterward but it did finally come out. I took the new rotors and bearings out of the boxes from Napa. Saved a lot of time not having to sandblast, paint and machine the old ones. I put the first one on and went to install the dust cap. The cap was way bigger than the hole, about 50 thousanths. I measured the hole and tried to find a cap that fits. Only one was on Ebay. Really wanted to get done last weekend. Too bad Napa was closed on Labor day. Decided to exchange the rotors for good ones the next weekend. That happened yesterday. I got two correctly machined in China brake rotors, and the correct bearing. I was given one inner and three outer bearings by the Napa store. The rotors are finally on the car and soon to bolt on a set of front wheels. This is cool. Been too many years since the car has had 4 wheels on it or been moved. The center link and tie rods are next along with the steering gearbox and idler arm. I am going to try to rent a car dolly and tow the car to the new house today. I hope all goes good.

Bandit723 likes this.
  7. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Looking good! Yeah bet it feels good to make some progress...

8. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

1046A31B-773B-4694-A463-7C42CBEE15E4.jpeg A34C7ACB-BFF1-47D3-9551-086A1E64AE2D.jpeg I had some time to trailer the car this weekend. I bolted on the steering links and tied to the frame with ratchet straps. I put the rotors on and a set of wheels and dropped it onto a set of car skates. Had to use a chain saw to cut the roots from sitting in one spot for so long. I got it spun around and onto a car dolly. It towed pretty good at 55 mph. Got to the garage, rolled it off the trailer and made it into the 10x20. Hope to see it back out in daylight sometime soon.

Bandit723 likes this.
  9. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

EC8AACB9-2406-4168-9C39-D19F8F6D8ECD.jpeg

10. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

If anything, moving helped me organize all of the parts for the car. Other than the engine, dashboard, and flex plate, all of the parts are with the car in the storage shed. Only casualty was that I broke the trans housing lifting it into the trailer. I put a bolt through a bell housing hole and used a chain to lift it. Housing broke and the trans fell. I will have to get that fixed.
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of the NastyZ28 members.