1980 Z28 Convertible

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by indyzmike, Oct 24, 2007.

1. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Almost one year since my last post. Lots going on here as far as projects. I am getting work done prepping the garage to be a workshop. I ran new wiring from the house and installed a new breaker box with 220 so I can run the compressor. I ran a gas pipe to the garage and installed a Mr Heater Max 80 which fired up for the first time last night. I had a new steel roof installed 2 weeks ago because the shingles have been crumbling for the last 5 years. Also installed a new garage door opener. Next comes some insulation in the walls.
    As far as the car, I picked up a good case for the broken 700R4. Now to transfer the guts from the broken case into the good one. The car is still in its storage garage with flat tires and shelves full of parts but is safe and sound.
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!!!!!

2. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

I have finally got to the point of getting the transmission from the storage garage. I had an unplanned snowblower rebuild and a maintenance blitz on my 1980 Deere 317 mower. I am still sorting and getting rid of stuff I don't need so I have more room in the garage. I guess window manufacturing is essential so I am still working, just 4 days a week now.
    As far as the transmission case, I have to clean up the outside to make it look better. I plan on trying Scotchbrite and then some clear Krylon. Wish me luck.

Broken case.
    upload_2020-5-9_1-33-7.png

Green new case.
    upload_2020-5-9_1-34-45.png

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  3. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

I tried sanding and wire wheeling the replacement case but it did not work very well. I ended up sand blasting the outside of the case. That worked good. I took it to the coin operated car wash and pressure washed it. Got it home and blew it out with compressed air. Then I started removing parts from the bad case and installing what I could into the new case. I found that the separator plate for the valve body was worn by the 1-2 accumulator and by the check balls, so I ordered a new one made by Trans-Go. I pulled apart the pump to clean out the grime that it ate while sitting for 13 years. Now I have to make a tool to compress the springs to remove the last parts from the old case.

4. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

I made the spring compressor tool yesterday and it worked good. Completely emptied the broken transmission case and loaded most of it into the replacement case. The last part before the pump is being stubborn and won't drop in all the way but I will argue with it more after work tonight.

5. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

I got all of the parts back into the trans, installed the servo and governor, and put the valve body in. I got the new separator plate and it fit good. Tail housing is sandblasted and installed. I have to wait for a breather tube that I ordered yesterday. The old one was broke off and the new one installs from inside the case. I hope it gets here fast. I will post some pics when I figure out how to do all this again.

6. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Yayyy, trans is done. Installed a pressure switch and modified the wiring for 4th gear converter lock-up.
    I also pulled the flat tire off the car and fixed the rim leak.
    Now I can start pulling parts from storage, sand blasting them, and then painting. That will help when i need to put them on the car.

Pressure switch.
    upload_2020-5-9_1-43-37.png

Done.
    upload_2020-5-9_1-44-10.png

7. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

I pulled the center link and tie rod assembly off the car and dug out a steering box from storage. I got the gearbox cleaned up but broke both steel lines. I will order a new pressure hose and I have another gearbox that has the return line on it but I have to find it. I need to have the steering installed to bring the car home 1 mile from storage.

8. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

I tried to pull the steel return line off the spare gearbox, but no dice. I tried for about an hour heating it and soaking it in AeroKroil. I wasted enough time on that. I cleaned up all of the steering linkage, got new castle nuts and cotter pins, and got a couple new dust boots from AutoZone. I was pissed that I accidentally painted it with Rustoleum and had to wait 2 days for it to dry. Krylon ftw. I found the gearbox mounting bolts and cleaned and painted them. Took all the stuff to the garage and installed it on the car. Dug out a couple intermediate shafts and picked the best one. Ordered the upper end boot from Summit and got the rag joint kit Dorman 31002 from Orilley's. The boot will be here in 10 days.
    Then my dilemma was how to get the car home from the storage garage one mile away. Tow truck, tow dolly rental, make a tow bar? A quick search of Marketplace and I found a near new Reese tow bar for $40. Took a nice cruise to Iowa to pick it up, and then made a mounting bar to bolt on where the core support mounts. Bolted the tow bar to the mounting bar and towed the car home. It was a great day of progress. 4 more days and I will be back for a whole month!!! lol

Tow bar.
    upload_2020-5-9_1-50-18.png
    Car is home.
    upload_2020-5-9_1-50-52.png

9. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

I got the rag joint done yesterday. I threaded the holes 3/8-16 in the part that has the spline. Then I used bolts that had 1/2 inch of shank (no threads) by the head. I put high strength Loctite on the threads before assembling. For the other 2 bolts I found shoulder bolts that worked. They were just like the pins in the kit but had a short head with a hex hole for a allen wrench. I used locking nuts on those.
    I went to a local repair shop and asked if they might be able to weld the subframe connectors. They said I should bring the car there tomorrow morning. I hope this works out.
    Now I am working on the Z28 subframe braces and the motor mounts. Then off to scrounge for more car hardware at the storage garage.
    Only 2 more days to go!!!

10. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Has been a while glad to see you are back on the project. Just hope you don't go ADHD again and get side tracked LOL....