1980 Z28 Convertible

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by indyzmike, Oct 24, 2007.

1. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Good to hear from you. I am glad to be back and want to keep at it, but due to my history, I can't promise anything. I just have to work on one thing at a time to keep focused.

2. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

I took the car to the shop this morning and at 3:30 this afternoon it was in the shop on the lift. It will get welded first thing in the morning. This is going be a huge relief for me to have this done. I got the rubber motor mounts and the clam shell motor mounts blasted and painted. Also got the lower control arm braces cleaned and painted.
    I was looking at the trans crossmember that I bought a long time ago for the 700R4 conversion. It looks like the one made for 1970 - 1974 Camaros. I will have to see if it fits in an 80. One more day!!!

Bandit723 likes this.
  3. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

I picked up the car from the local shop and the frame connectors are all welded in. I installed the motor mounts and subframe Z28 braces too. I found a thread from 2014 that I posted about the crossmember and the replies said what I feared, the crossmember I have (G-force F2-700) is for 70-74. I need the one for 75 to 81. Happy to say I have been working on the car again for a month. I hope to extend that to many many months until the car is somewhat done.

4. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

I ordered the correct G-Force crossmember and got it yesterday. I will sell the f2-700. I picked up a transmission mount and new bolts today and got them installed on the trans. In my scrounging at the storage garage I found the new torque converter, new flex plate, and ARP flex plate bolts. I ordered a set of ARP torque converter bolts today. Lots of sorting bolts and brackets and odds and ends. Thinking of working on the brakes before I put the drive train in.

5. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

I picked up a set of rebuilt calipers on Saturday and have a couple new brake hoses on order. I am trying to decide on what to do with the brake booster as far as appearance. I like the idea of new plating but I am building a driver, not a show car. I do not want to go with a Chinese rebuilt unit. I might take it apart, sandblast it, and paint it. Not sure.
    I got the front brake lines from storage and figured out where they mount and what brackets. Now to clean and paint those.
    I got the boot for the intermediate steering shaft today and broke it trying to get it over the pin. I ordered 2 more just in case I screw up another one.

6. balloonpilot

balloonpilot New Member

Wow, when I started reading this thread 16 pages ago, from 2007, I figured I could see a nice completed convertible Camaro when I got to the end.
    Not a criticism though.

So, you have nothing on me yet!
    I just purchased a 1980 Z with my son (19) and I only hope it will get finished!

I loved your thread and will keep an eye on it to see that car complete! The work you have done is fantastic!

Good luck!

7. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Thanks, I am trying to keep it a priority.

8. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

I made some good progress on the brakes last week. I installed the front dust shields and new calipers with new hoses. I also installed a new booster from Summit, a new master and a new brass proportioning valve. It is all hooked up with a set of new stainless lines. To mount the booster I had to install the inside firewall pad and the brake pedal bracket.
    I got the 2 replacement boots for the intermediate steering shaft. Now to see if I needed one or two.
    I also got the cowl area and the fire wall painted. That was cleaned and primed a few years ago. Now I am working on painting the underside of the car satin black with Rustoleum. Not fun.

Bandit723 likes this.
  9. Desertfox63

Desertfox63 Member

Starting reading your post today and appreciate the time and work you have been putting into this car. I am currently restoring a 1972 Z28 since 2009, so I understand how long these can take. I have only ever seen one other 1980 Camaro convertible, and that was back in high school when some kid's father bought him it brand new as a grad gift. I have always loved the look of the 1980 and 1981 Z28 model years especially with a T-top, but a convertible would be the ultimate. Keep up the good work and don't give up as it will be a beautiful car once completed.

10. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Thanks Desertfox63, I am on a roll now.

I am working on getting some pics posted.