1980 Z28 Convertible

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by indyzmike, Oct 24, 2007.

1. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

I started painting the underside of the car. I had cleaned it a while a go down to original paint. I tried to brush paint but the "rain" got to be too much. I continued painting with spray cans and I am happy with the results.
    After ripping 2 intermediate steering shaft boots, I pressed the pin out and installed the boot.
    I have been looking into what options I have for the air conditioning. I think I am going to leave the factory system except for an upgraded compressor. Probably go with 134a even though I have enough R12.
    Trans crossmember install next, then engine and trans.

2. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

I got the crossmember bolted in yesterday after drilling out the holes in the subframe to match the crossmember. I picked up the torque converter and flywheel from storage so I can try to assemble the engine to the trans. I also got some A/C parts to work on while it is raining this weekend.

3. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

The engine has been on the engine stand for a long time since it was rebuilt. It needed some cleaning and touch up painting. I got it rigged to the cherry picker and bolted on the flex plate and then bolted the engine to the 700R4 trans. I bolted the mounts to the block and slid the assembly into the car. I found that the trans mount was in the rear position on the tail housing and needed to be in the case mount position. Once I moved that it sat like it is supposed to. I installed the flex to torque converter bolts and the trans cooler lines. I oiled the cylinders before turning the crank to install the converter bolts and I see oil running out an oil pan bolt. :whine:
    Next in line is the starter, torque converter cover, and all the mounting bolts. I see the fuel pump is in the way of the mount bolt on that side. I might put a block off plate in it's place and go with Holley fuel injection. Might be easier than going carbed and then swapping it out later.

4. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

It's been pretty hot here and not much getting done on the car. My credit card has been working overtime, though. I ordered the Holley Sniper Gold Quadrajet kit and a Tanks Inc. stainless fuel tank with pump TM201-T-KIT. Also picked up a Mr. Gasket fuel pump block off plate at O'rilleys. Should get the tank tomorrow but the EFI kit is back ordered. I like the idea that if by chance the Sniper bites the dust far from home, a pressure regulator and carburetor bolt on can get me home.

5. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

A bit slow here, the fuel pump block off plate is on, and the starter is bolted on but not checked for clearance. I got the gas tank with pump, and started to install two 3/8 stainless fuel lines. I started working on getting a core support ready to paint and bolt on. Still no Holley Sniper yet. Maybe next week. I have to clean and paint the underside of the car in back where the gas tank goes before I put the tank in. Rear axle needs to be blasted and painted too. I also got a set of electric fans for a 2000 Camaro. I will hook those up to be controlled by the Holley EFI circuit.

Bandit723 likes this.
  6. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Wow, not pleased with the way Summit is handling the communication for shipping of the EFI. I ordered it the 30th of June. I understand that it is back-ordered and the estimated ship date is July 13th. I am ok with that. On the 10th, I get an email that says, "New shipping date July 13th. Ok, same as before. Then on the 27th, I get an email saying,"New ship date August 3rd." Ok, I get that it is further back-ordered. Then it says that I have to let them know if I still want the EFI. I text and email that I want it and am patiently waiting. I then get a text reply 3 1/2 hours later that they are swamped with texts and mine will be taken in the order it was received. Replies could take 3 or 4 days. Never did get a confirmation. Oh well, so it is still on order. Then today, I check the status of my order and it says expected arrival August 24th. How can they say this when the ad for the EFI says estimated ship date of August 17th if ordered today? Should I cancel my order and re-order it today to get it faster? No way. Then I would get it in October. lol

7. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

so, this might not be 100% summits fault
    due to everything going on in the world it's entirely possible certain supply chains are getting choked up and they're just relaying the info they have from the manufacture on to you. Or their automated system is screwing you over.
    I would call them, it's much easier to get answers then just wait. I had an issue recently with some furniture that ended up finding itself in limbo where I got new dates and a person had to take a look at it as the system was causing it to screw up.

8. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Had the same back-order with my new radiator as well and that was direct from the mfg. normally would have been a couple of days it took 6 weeks...

9. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Thanks for the comments SPG and Bandit723, I did get the EFI on the 20th. Unit looks great. Now I had to order a pressure regulator and pressure gauge kit. The regulator is not built into the spread bore throttle body(TB) units. They recommend running the pressure line to the throttle body, and then run the return line from the TB, through the regulator, and then back to the fuel tank. I think the fuel flow helps keep the TB cool. Now I have to figure out how I am going to run two 3/8 fuel lines from the passenger side frame up to the throttle body and make it look good. The weather looks good, so more work will get done. I got called out for a river rescue last month with my hovercraft, and then did some maintenance work on that. Just had the national hovercraft rally here in Wisconsin, and now back to the car.

10. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

I have been moving along, but slow. I had 2 core supports, one had some rust, the other was bent up from an accident. I thought I could straighten the bent one but I ended up making an outside blast booth and sandblasted the straight one. I have to repair the donut holes and a couple other spots. Then I will have a place to mount the radiator and start the engine that I rebuilt about 15 years ago. It had been oiled and rotated every so often when it was on the stand. Now in the car, it needs to run.

Bandit723 likes this.