1980 Z28 Project on a budget

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by kenstir, Aug 20, 2010.

1. kenstir

kenstir Veteran Member

Hello All.

Great site. I have been looking for months now learning information. Finally took time to join. Thought I'd share my project and progress or lack there of sometime. I will provide pix (If I can figure it out) and explanations when possible. Work at a car lot selling cars (I know what your thinking) and am limited on time to work on car and to do this. Will update when possible.

I have a 1980 Z28 automatic hardtop. No power windows. Bought car from listing on Craigslist. Had pictures sent to me. Looked great, except hit in rear quarter panel. Car was 300 miles away. Owner agreed to meet me half way if I guaranteed I would buy the car. A man of my word (yes, i said car salesman for a living), I met him and purchased the car. To say the pictures and descriptions were misleading, would be an understatement. I picked up in the dark, could at least tell it was not as described, but kept my word and bought the car. Still looked ok, and a good solid project. Maybe paid a $1,000 too much, but that was part of my learning experience. Have enjoyed it so far, but have much to go.

Please don't criticize too much. Not going for show car, just want a fun driver car. Not original, not perfect, just something to occupy my time (I call it therapy) and hopefully make a great car in the process.

Thanks for looking at my post.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  2. kenstir

kenstir Veteran Member

Started with interior. Needed dash, rear package tray, all interior panels dry rotted, seats looked good but were dyed and sticky (nasty). Also the wire support underneath gone. Just didn't like the blue. Wanted a Black interior.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  3. cbeasley

cbeasley Veteran Member

Welcome to the site and the car looks pretty good to me and cant go wrong with a 80 or 81 ;)

4. kenstir

kenstir Veteran Member

I found a guy local who has a garage full of old 2nd gen panels and parts. Bought interior rear quarter panels, sail panels, all headliner trim. Did not know about dyeing anything since seats were so sticky, but decided to give it a try. Old door panels and seats.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With much scrubbing with bug and tar remover (worked well to get off old dye), I began to dye everything black I was not replacing. Surprisingly, the dye did not turn out sticky. Looks very good. Will rub off seats in spots. Will eventually spend the cash and replace covers and have seats repaired underneath.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bought new dash cover (not pad) just cover. Dyed steering wheel.

[​IMG]

Bought new package tray and speakers.

Old-[​IMG]

New[​IMG]

New dash cap- [​IMG]

Not finished but looks pretty good

[​IMG]

5. kenstir

kenstir Veteran Member

Replaced speakers, added cd player, dyed head liner, replaced bulbs in dash. Dash bezel was scratched, went to scrub on it and the black came off to a shiny finish. Actually looked good, so I worked to scrape it all off.

I think aluminum finish looks better-
    [​IMG]

6. FatnLow

FatnLow Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Great job!

7. global warmer

global warmer Veteran Member

looking good, but budget and cars don't go together I just built a budget

434 stroker one thing led to another and a 6,000 BILL occurred

8. B.M.

B.M. Veteran Member

Looks like you picked up a pretty nice car.As far as the quarter damage,that would be a cheap fix,since all the damage is below the body line,you can get a patch panel for that area for about $35-$40.By the way,what did you use to clean up your dash bezel?I'm doing mine the same way and i'm getting blotchy spots some shinier than others.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  9. joe-balls

joe-balls Veteran Member

What kind of dye did you use? That looks good, is there a way to do the seatbelts or you gonna look for a set of black ones? and the headliner to, what did you or are you doing with that?

Joe

10. kenstir

kenstir Veteran Member

Yes, already found out budget is an adjustable word, but I dont have the stroker. Have the patch panel, just waiting to get to the body. Want car very driveable before worrying about paint and body.

Used Dupli Color Vinyl and Fabric dye. Worked really well on door panels, carpet, headliner and dash panels. I am replacing seat belts. Have already done back ones in black, now trying to find decent set of front ones that are affordable. Plastic around buckles are trash. Anyone got a set?

On the dash bezel, I used a Mr Clean magic eraser. Took some elbow grease but worked well. I think anything else would have scratched it up.

Thanks for the comments.