1980 Z28 Project on a budget

kenstir

Veteran Member
Aug 18, 2010
Roanoke, Va.
Wraith said:
You would have an easier time if you removed the rear bumper and fin extension on the quarter. It would allow you to sand down the length of the panel and finesse the body line without having obstacles. Might seem like a little bit of work, but it would be well worth it in the end.

Thanks for the suggestion. When I get anywhere near ready for paint, I will do so. Right now just wanted that wrinkled panel off. I am no bodyman so very pleased just to have a fairly straight piece of metal instead of the crunched up quarter. The quarter looks like it was hooked, more than hit. Something got hold of it and bent it rearward. The rear bumper and trunk extension do need to come off to make a "good" repair.

I have had that replacement panel sitting in the garage for 6 months or more, so really glad to get it out of garage and on the car!

niles81z28

Jan 31, 2011
niles mi
kenstir said:
Replaced speakers, added cd player, dyed head liner, replaced bulbs in dash. Dash bezel was scratched, went to scrub on it and the black came off to a shiny finish. Actually looked good, so I worked to scrape it all off.

I think aluminum finish looks better-
P1060478.jpg
hi iam christopher i have a 81 z28 that in bought the same way. iam restoring to love your pic, its going to be a nice car. my 81 has a LM1 350 4 SPEED. I DONT HAVE PIC YET we had to get a new comp. have not yet moved all files over but i will share pic with you. my site is niles81z28 i have 3 camaros 81z 84, 86iroc-z i have a guy that can get you a quarter for littel money at all. drop me a line when you are on nice job.

niles81z28

Jan 31, 2011
niles mi
kenstir said:
Don't have pics from there. It was the 9pm at night. 12 hours later, I had both headers on and no exhaust on. I had to back car out of garage to put Mustang,(Im sorry), back in garage.

Picture142.jpg

Camaro has not earned the spot (or dollar amount) yet.
my wife would love that mustang i just bought her a 2010 GT.

Wraith

Jul 13, 2010
Saratoga, NY
kenstir said:
Thanks for the suggestion. When I get anywhere near ready for paint, I will do so. Right now just wanted that wrinkled panel off. I am no bodyman so very pleased just to have a fairly straight piece of metal instead of the crunched up quarter. The quarter looks like it was hooked, more than hit. Something got hold of it and bent it rearward. The rear bumper and trunk extension do need to come off to make a "good" repair.

I have had that replacement panel sitting in the garage for 6 months or more, so really glad to get it out of garage and on the car!

I hear you there. Always a nice boost to get something started and close to complete. Just got back into my 78 after 5 years of it sitting. Put quarter patches on both sides like you did with Fuzor bonding material. Final primer on the whole car this weekend and paint next weekend. Nice Mustang by the way. Just finished a '67 289 4-speed in the same color for a friend of mine. Your Z is really getting there! Nice job.

Latest posts