1980 Z28 suspension advice

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by KGKZ28, Feb 6, 2019.

1. KGKZ28

KGKZ28 New Member

Looking on any advice for 1980 Z28 suspension. The car is not taken out outside Sunday drive and some fun runs around town. I will be letting my son drive the car and want to make sure it is safe. The current suspension is original, and hardware is all present. If I am going to replace all the front / rear shocks and bushings would it make sense to upgrade components? If so what items and any suggestion on a cost effective system that does not need to be track ready just normal driving and a little back road fun.

Thank you

2. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I redid the suspension on my 79 a couple of years back. Seeing as how it was a fair weather, street driven car for me, I went and replaced all the bushings with OEM rubber stuff. All the upgrades would have cost alot of money, and on the roadways here in CT...not worth the money. My guess is that you'll here different, and for different reasoning. My car rode way better than it ever had, simply because the old bushings were shot. All the money that you can save not buying tubular a-arms, 4-links, etc...you can get the better shocks, sway bars, and frame extenders, and still be way ahead of the game. I agree about already having it apart...I went through the same thing. Best of luck no matter which way you go. Hope your son enjoys the car.

3. KGKZ28

KGKZ28 New Member

Thank you
    Thank you for the help

4. KGKZ28

KGKZ28 New Member

Any thoughts on OEM rubber or using Polyurethane benefits

5. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

OEM rubber will work great for your intended use. I went with all Moog steering and suspension parts, got the best deal from Rock Auto. I've never considered poly as a viable option. There are two kinds of poly users; those that squeak, and those that will squeak. Good luck to you and your son on this project.

John Mangan likes this.
  6. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

+1 to above. Rubber and Moog replacement parts may be the best way to go here.
    I really like Bilstien shocks for applications like this. Stay away from KYB shocks They are cheap, and are completely valved wrong for our cars.

Do plan on replacing the subframe bushings with solids. The job is a PITA, but is critical to making the car behave well. There is a great walk thru on this here

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  7. nova75mike

nova75mike Veteran Member

adding my .02 for the stock style rubber bushings. used poly in the past...never again. all I heard was SQUEEK!!!! annoying to say the least. Got my MOOG rubber bushings and all ball joints, tie rods, etc. from Summit Racing, and +1 for the Bilstien shocks.

8. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

A lot depends on your budget also ,You can add a little at a time, Rebuild the front suspension using a lot Moog parts .And rubber body bushings There are shocks by KYB,Koni ,Carrea ,etc, ,You can go with a stock replacement springs or a little stiffer aftermarket springs. You can use your stock sway bars and or go to a larger size. I use a 1 1/4 front bar and a 7/8 `s rear bar .I use a grease-able polyurethane sway bar bushings .There are all sorts ways to do so .Just do your research and its up to you to decide .Good luck to you,

Attached Files:

9. rchydzik

rchydzik Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Good shocks are the best bang for your buck. The Z28 is a pretty good car to start with. Agree with everyone, bushings, maybe subframe connectors, but good shocks (i like Koni) will be best money spent. The only place for polyurethane is the swaybars.

10. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

If your main suspension like ball joints,Tie rods center link and idler and the rest are good the simple stabilizer struts are easy and shocks. Grease the heck out of them wipe the the goo. Also grease the front wheel bearings while you are there. As far as body mounts I like the old school rubber. Poly is ok but you might get that squeak after a while. Dry silicone spray helps. Good luck with your project.