1980Z redneck-touring vortec/6spd

woody80z28

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 8, 2004
walton, ny usa
Oh and I got some of my stuff in the mail! Just waiting for calipers.

IMG_9919.jpg

IMG_9921.jpg

woody80z28

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 8, 2004
walton, ny usa
The outside part of the firewall & floor got the ceramic Lizard Skin. The inside of the firewall, floor & rear shelf area are getting the rubber Lizard Skin for sound. Just put down the first coat on the interior. Planned to get both coats done tonight, but the masking process took too much time and the drying time has been slow. Going to put U-Pol Raptor bed liner on the firewall and outside floor for durability. Being water-based I don't trust the LS.

woody80z28

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 8, 2004
walton, ny usa
Calipers came in. I thought they were wrong at first because they don't say Corvette. But that's perfect because I was going to shave it anyway and change it to Camaro. Took the 4th-gen script and modified it slightly and arched it to fit. Photoshopped it and I think I'm gonna do blue. I'll either just sticker the Camaro and paint the rest and remove the sticker...or I might even engrave it at work like I did with my Beretta intake.

IMG_9956.jpg

IMG_9953.jpg

IMG_9954blue.jpg

Also put down two coats of the sound control LS after closing off the holes in the rear seat & shelf with some leftover SecondSkin Damplifier I had from sound deadening my Beretta. The LS SC is kinda weird. It's purple when wet and dries to a dark grayish color. Not nearly as thick and the LS CI.

IMG_9943.jpg

IMG_9944.jpg

IMG_9952.jpg

IMG_9951.jpg

76_TypeLT

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 26, 2008
Houston, TX
looks great!

the LS liquid sound deadener looks similar to the Second Skin product. I have some SS stuff left over which will all go on my 76.

woody80z28

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 8, 2004
walton, ny usa
Lesson of the day. Do not stack textures. Ever.

This Raptor Liner looks really nice, wayyyyy better than the Lizard Skin. But it needs to be applied to a smooth surface, and not on top of the LS texture.

IMG_9960.jpg

IMG_9962.jpg

IMG_9966.jpg

IMG_9967.jpg

IMG_9972.jpg

You can see here the texture is tight and looks really nice. This was just epoxy under it.
IMG_9975.jpg

This is over the Lizard Skin. On the bottom side of the car...who cares. But the smooth firewall looks like garbage. So tomorrow I'm gonna start to sand it smooth and then reapply the Raptor over the smooth surface. I have some LS left over I can apply to the inside of the firewall to make up for what gets sanded off outside.
IMG_9977.jpg

Here, on the brake/clutch master plate I had sanded the Lizard Skin down some just to keep from building up too much thickness on the mounting faces, but not totally smooth. Even so, you can see quite a difference in the texture.
IMG_9978.jpg

And I just don't like it. I have too much work in that firewall not to like it...so out comes the sandpaper!

bitchin'71SS

Veteran Member
Sep 10, 2009
Poughkeepsie, NY
Nice!!

I was planning on using eastwood's ceramic chassis black for the underbody,

but now you got me thinking.... :brightide

awesome work, how much of the raptor liner did you end up using?

arick793

Veteran Member
Oct 27, 2008
Rochester, NY
I would have said "I have way too much work into that firewall to not like it.... so I have to learn to like it!" I screwed up the clear coat on the frame of a motorcycle I built last year and it combined with the black to make this strange, random shiny textured look.... I didn't like it for about 2 months, and now I'm fine with it! I think your firewall looks great as is by the way