1980Z redneck-touring vortec/6spd

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by woody80z28, Feb 22, 2008.

1. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Made myself a bondo spreader on the CNC at work. Hopefully it helps me get the 3 pieces of the spoiler matching perfect. Should be a lot easier than what I have been doing...
    [​IMG]

Hood openings need work too. I'm trying to finish up the spoiler before moving on to the next issue, but I may be able to save some time by ordering a new nose. I'm still not excited about using the one I have. There are some waves in it, and has tiny little cracks when you sand it all the way down to the urethane. Wondering if a different nose will fit at the hood differently. The nose I'm looking at is the Stinger fiberglass one (same place that made my hood).
    https://www.americansportscar.com/products/chevy-camaro-bumper-1978-1981-front-flex
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. woody80z28

So I bought the Stinger nose. My dad was headed to Mopar Carlisle to sell parts and Stinger was going to be there as a vendor...so I called them up and had them send a sweet Chevy nose on the truck with all their Mopar junk! haha Saved me about $200 in boxing/shipping charges.

Quality looks pretty good. I do see a couple minor flaws, but that's the beauty of fiberglass...it's easy to fix!

One little problem I ran in to though. Looks like I need to grind the fiberglass headlight bucket/grille structure down to fit the nose over it. It doesn't just stretch over like the urethane.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. woody80z28

Started installing the nose. I studded the fenders to make it easier to bolt on. Doing the bolts from the front was always a pain because there was no direct shot to get on them, you had to screw around with a knuckle or bend the urethane. Neither are a good solution... So now it goes on and I can start the nuts by hand. Then they are easily tightened with a knuckle on a long extension.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fitment at the fender extension kinda sucked, and I saw a post about steel supports that were never on my car. So I fabbed some up out of 1/8". Seems to work pretty well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hood gap sucks though. So that's something I need to tackle. Hinges need rebuilding before that though. So I'm drilling and using 1/2" bolts and nuts. Going to tack the nut to the bolt when I get the pivot at the tightness I want.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Test fit the headlight & signal buckets, and grilles. None of them fit great, so they will take a little work too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But I kinda like that it almost looks like a car!
    [​IMG]

So now I'm working on getting the spoiler perfect...finishing the last fitment project before tackling the newest one...
    [​IMG]

4. J. Chris Davis

J. Chris Davis Veteran Member

Making some really great progress. I have been considering the fiberglass nose and rear bumper when I get mine repainted. I'll be keeping a close eye on how yours turns out.

5. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Wow,I never noticed how much bumper you shaved off,how heavy was the chunk removed?

6. woody80z28

No idea actually. I got that bumper as a freebie from Mike (Mr.FBDY) when I bought the hood. It's pretty flimsy, so I don't plan on using it, but it's easier to handle for mockup.

7. 3SLO5

3SLO5 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

keep on going, looks like tons of poo getting done.

8. woody80z28

Happy with the spoiler now. Check.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ordered some hardware from boltdepot.com to rebuild my hinges. They have a TON of stuff. And I'm actually going to order some 3/8 brass washers and drill them to 1/2 because these 1/2 ones are huuuuge.

So, I like the way the hinges work now. I drilled all the 3/8 holes in the hinges to 1/2 and used a 1/2" shoulder bolt with a 3/8 stud. Plan is to blast and powdercoat the hinges, assemble, and tack the nut to the bolt when done. Maybe threadlocker would be better though. I haven't decided yet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. CasperCasper

CasperCasper Veteran Member

Not sure how I've never seen this build before, great work ! That spoiler is very satisfying to look at.

10. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Do you have a list of the parts and #s you used to rebuild your hinges? I had mine rebuilt and I am happy, but I really like the way yours are assembled. I have a spare set of hinges I would like to try your set up on.

Thanks!