1980Z redneck-touring vortec/6spd

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by woody80z28, Feb 22, 2008.

1. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Minor update, but even that's miraculous considering the little turd stealing most of my time. I've actually gotten a lot of work done on my new truck (because general wrenching and wiring are semi baby-friendly), but the dusty and stinky body work to be done on the Camaro won't fly with the monsta around. So I guess I'm one of "those guys" now. haha
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, I got another rear bumper eggcrate so I could add to the bottom and give some support to the lengthened fiberglass cover. And while I had it apart, I welded in some support to the center of the bumper. I hacked the hell out of it when I was 19 to fit the NHRA kill switch, but I'm figuring now I can use it as a jack point similar to what I did with the front. I can also run a 1/2in bolt and spacer to use a tow strap on the rear if needed. And I did come up with a plan for a rear hitch in case of Drag Week in the future (or even Power Tour with all the kiddo poo we gotta haul now). haha
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[email protected] likes this.
  2. woody80z28

Finished up the steel rear bumper mods. I added another mounting bolt just to make sure it was sturdy as a jack point.
    [​IMG]

I also took it out body shopping! I've been waiting 3 years for my buddy to do it...but I'm looking at other options. It's definitely pricier at actual shops - about double - but at this point...I'm sure I already have $25k in something I can't even drive. So what's a few more grand to actually get it DONE?

Getting it in and out of the garage was a hell of a lot easier this time. Rather than the floppy chain-around-the-winch deal my dad came up with last time, I drilled a hole in the winch hitch and used a stud in the floor anchor and nut to mount the winch tight to the floor. I used an eyelet in the other floor anchor with a snatch block to keep the weight spread across both anchors. Worked perfect.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Drove about 80 miles to 4 shops to get quotes. One was "nope, too busy". Two were around 6,000 and one was 15,000.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I gopro'd a POV since the Camaro hasn't seen road miles in forever! hahaha
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. woody80z28

Found out one of the shops who quoted around $6000 is notorious for quoting low and charging more. The other one nobody has ever heard of. haha. The guy says he's been doing it 30 years, but no one has ever seen any work. I called two more places and they're reluctant to take on a project cause they prefer collision stuff.

Regardless, nobody can get it in ASAP...so I'm gonna hit it hard myself for a bit and see just how good I can get it. Maybe if I get it closer to done someone will be more willing to tackle it. And if it starts looking good I might just spray it myself. It won't be perfect, but it will be done.

4. dave@ztech

[email protected] Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yes avoid low ball quotes, never turns out well, and good job should be 12-15,000 , if you have the skill give it a try! They have those blow up paint booths , might help, not sure of the cost. Cute kid, and nice you already have em in the garage, HAA HA

5. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

yeah, c'mon duit!

6. woody80z28

There's zero chance I'm paying $10k. Not happening. I don't need a Ridler award winner, I need a racecar-quality paint job. It should look good, but at this point it doesn't have to be perfect. It's going to get a ton of miles on it anyway...and who knows, it might even end up in a fence racing like my Beretta did, haha

I have sprayed a car before in my garage. Laying down the paint isn't what I'm scared of...it's just the straightening work I worry about. I had lots of confidence and my DIY Beretta paint job came out great! 2-3 years later when the body work started to show I gained a new respect for proper body work.

If it's fast enough nobody will notice the body work, right?

[email protected] and xten like this.
  7. QUAKE_WARS

QUAKE_WARS Veteran Member

No portion may be used with or without permission
    LOL:). Man you have been on that for a long time. I bet it feels good to get rolling on it. Good luck with finding a Painter.
    Make sure you have them put on paper they will not hold it forever.. Once you drop it off. Im sure you heard the horror stories of
    shops holding cars for years because they got paid in advanced. DONT FALL FOR THAT we need half up front BS.

John Wright likes this.
  8. QUAKE_WARS

QUAKE_WARS Veteran Member

No portion may be used with or without permission
    Do you have a https://www.maaco.com/ you did say race car paint job. Plus you get a warranty. they never keep a car more then 4 weeks. Less than $2500 for their A+++ paint job.

9. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

Honestly, if you prep the car right before dropping it off, maaco jobs aren't actually that bad. You just have to make sure to put the love into the prep because you know they won't

10. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

true

I had a car painted by them a long time ago, actually wasn't bad. But I am talking so long ago, it was $450 LOL