1980Z redneck-touring vortec/6spd

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by woody80z28, Feb 22, 2008.

1. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That's the thing though, they just lay paint...I can do that. It's the blocking straight that I'd need help with.

I have decided to hit it hard getting the body as good as I can possibly get it for the next month or two. The place that looks to be my best option can't get it in until October anyway. And the nose-to-fender seam and rear bumper I can certainly get better before I drop it off. I don't have much garage time these days, but I talked with the wifey about hammering it while I can for a little bit. We'll see how it goes.

2. woody80z28

Well, got distracted by a house hunt and some upgrades to our place. But I made it a 2021 resolution to get more done on the Camaro. The painter dude who was going to do it in October kinda went cold...so I'm back at it and will probably lay the paint myself - eventually.

I bought fiberglass flares from Danko and that was an ordeal...but I finally got them. They need some fitment work. Aftermarket flares with an aftermarket nose and modified wheel lips aren't a great combo. I'm going to need to reshape the style line to match up with the modified fender lip, both front and rear. So I used the ol' wax on masking tape trick to add some duraglas to the back of the flare (just like I did to get the spoiler and glass rear bumper fitment really good).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

While I was at it I worked on the nose to fender fitment and got that looking really good. I'll have to do the same all the way across the hood to nose also. But before I can do that, I need to cut the corners of the hood off and re-fiberglass them lower - the corners are pretty damn high and the center and turn signal recesses are pretty good. That is at least one thing I got from the last possible painter...some expert fiberglass advice.
    [​IMG]

I also got my first prototype of the license plate/kill switch/reverse light bracket done. Needs some tweaking, but it's close. I'm gonna shave the back of the LED bar down a bit too, so I can recess the whole thing about a half inch.
    [​IMG]

BillyDean7173 and roadrace2 like this.
  3. ChevyReb

ChevyReb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Good to see you back on it man. Whats the deal with the wax and masking tape? And are the front fenders fiberglass too?

4. woody80z28

Fenders are steel. But the tape and wax lets the fiberglass release off it like a mold. Read about that somewhere a long time ago and it works pretty well.

MChamp likes this.
  5. 79camaro2001

79camaro2001 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I see you're still plugging away on your camaro too. Isn't life grand on changing your plans for the camaro? Lol

6. woody80z28

Been really bad about updates lately. Been really bad about even working on it...honestly. But here's a video with a quick rundown of the project. I recently started boosting my youtube stuff into a real "channel" and this is kinda the start of the Camaro content.

And if you like other Chevys and/or clutch pedals you should like the rest of the stuff on my channel. Shamless plug for you to like and subscribe! ;)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/GEARHEADdezign
    2001 Silverado 8.1/6spd hauler
    2000 Blazer 4.3/5spd offroad beater
    1991 Beretta 3.4/5spd summer daily (getting LS RWD swap)
    and the Camaro decade-long project...haha

John Wright and 80sz like this.
  7. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

Really cool video and excellent progress!