1981 Bird resurrection!!

Fbird

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2011
atlanta, ga
I hope to actually get to START this again :(
Current condition is ....bad :whine::(
Short story ..lol.. bought it in 1991 with a blown up something 400 (it's a 301 turbo original car).
Swapped out MY 1967 400 from previous crashed 77 BIRD...yrs go by.....1995 give the 400 a freshen up, add 4 speed (close ratio...:( ) 4.56 gears.(GET MARRIED) ---> get divorced..years go by...move a couple times, career goes to ugly...years go by (get MARRIED 😍)...2001 move again to GA. Bird looses fuel pump dumping gas into oil... :( freshen up bottom end....sits...years go by... 2008 I START the fuel injection project on the BIRD with a Holley commander 950 set up. :) 2009 YAY..it finally RUNS. Trying to sort out over temp issues....sits....make serpentine belt system. add 240 alternator remove 4 speed, buy 200r4 from NASTYZ member :) ..sits....yrs go by.. install 200r4 testing starts while trying to remember how to tune the fuel injection parameters July 4 2016 it swallowed something!!!! MOTOR is locked up :( something EXTRA is in hole #2 as the sparkplug showed SEVERE damage ONCE i got it out of the hole. Only diagnostics done as ..... moving IN PROGRESS. sits....yrs go by...(see a trend here).....

to be continued...

recent edits to give a little context.

Last edited:

Fbird

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2011
atlanta, ga
FOUND IT!!!! finally found the spark plug that i pulled out of #2 hole......
looks like a midget beat it with a hammer....:whine:

Last edited:

Fbird

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2011
atlanta, ga
UPDATE: ... no pics yet but...info!

so finally got out the borescope.....peeked in #2 hole....:(
discovered the exhaust valve beat chit to death. BENT valve about .030 lash to the rocker...piston is mostly BDC.

So i BELIEVE...what has happened (since #2 piston is NOT wedged at TDC??) i think i lost the Milidon gear drive which in turn caused the valve contact also being a GEAR DRIVE would also explain how it could lock up the crank. I wil have to verify other cylinders to see nothing else is in the motor? But that is my FIRST look and guess

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
Looks like you will be pulling the heads to get a better idea of the damage.

Hope it can be rebuilt and the block, cam and crank are all salvageable.

Good Luck!

Fbird

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2011
atlanta, ga
found it!!!!!!
not sure about the chain of events but I did lose the milidon gear drive!!! i disassembled the the front accessories (i made a serp belt drive ;)) to remove the fuel pump block off....snaked in my bore scope to confirm..... yup missing teeth!!! cant seem to upload pics on photo f*ckit...yet.

Lost at least 1 head...judging from the GREEN mud in the oil pan... :(

Last edited:

NOT A TA

Veteran Member
Feb 12, 2009
Delray Beach Florida
Pbucket updated their platform without warning or instructions to enable smooth transition. They might be great tech people but they are really bad at business and customer relations. Try clearing cache & cookies and then signing on to the updated version.

Fbird

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2011
atlanta, ga
Yeah ...finally able to upload.

So...this is where TEETH SHOULD BE!!!......that last one....it whats left of the "EXHAUST VALVE"

20200722195911.jpg
20200722200020.jpg
20200702144525.jpg

20200702140830.jpg
20200702143841.jpg

Latest posts