1981 Bird resurrection!!

Fbird

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2011
atlanta, ga
1 more small step.....rear end fully installed, sway bar back in location (13 yr hiatus) fuel tank tested(pump inside) and reinstalled, filled diff 1 bottle slip juice 2 1/2 bottle 75-90. Welded in nuts to floorboard where the sheetmetal screws WERE for the ehaust hangars. Welded up other exhaust hanger holes, still working on e-brake concept. I will probably make a hardened swage tool and swage ball ends on the original BLAZER cable to adapt to the TA front cable connection. I contacted XXXX cable maker...$300 for 2 cables ....uhm...PASS.

Fbird

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2011
atlanta, ga
More DELAYS!!! argh.... The OLD lakewood scattershield I had purchased back in 1993 USED abused and modified......well it's JUNK. So waiting on a replacement. Good news is got the pedals installed and have the remaining pieces either on order or ON THE BENCH. I may have an easy fix for the emergency brake issue!!!! Will know this week.

Fbird

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2011
atlanta, ga
MORE delays...got a real lakewood scattershield (used but really nice piece) flat within .004" but hole is off .016" TIR. So need some offset pins....tik tok goes the clock. Next up...freaking MOTOR MOUNTS!!! ARGH. When I installed the 400 in this bird some 30 yrs ago, I discovered THEN that not all PONTIAC 400's are the same. Pre-70 blocks do not have the 3 "late model" mounting holes soo....modded MY engine stand-offs to bolt to block. (welded some stuff together with engine in car) Well here I am 30 yrs later and discover the EXTRA standoffs I have been carrying around for 25+ yrs are for a 301 engine (its pontiac thing) so they do not fit the clam shells in the car. My modded standoffs are ?????? AT BEST. ALL 455's have ALL 5 holes in the block ...so as usual...DELAY...order some Butler solid mounts so NOW finally after 30+ yrs I feel certain that the engine will be in the correct location both vertically and left-right!!! argh argh argh (and another $150)...BUT...it is moving FORWARD!! I'm just glad I decided to "check them out" before putting them on the engine only to discover they WILL not sit on the clamshells correctly cause that would have been a really bad evening with the engine on the hoist and chit don't line up.

Last edited:

Fbird

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2011
atlanta, ga
E-brake cable fix. NOT exactly easy but also NOT exactly difficult either. I am using 2 LEFT side DISC brake rear cables. I will make a cable extension to extend the FRONT cable (threaded...just longer) a sheath extension (about 2 1/2" long) and weld on a "button holder" to original BLAZER cable end piece with BLAZER spring. Couple hrs work but allows me to replace cables with OFF the SHELF stuff, slide in, clip....just like they should be.

Fbird

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2011
atlanta, ga
got my dowels, aligned "new to me" bellhousing all is well.
1654686764419.png

motor mounts installed, clutch assembly going in today!!!! NEXT step...drop this thing between the fenders!

Fbird

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2011
atlanta, ga
It's between the fenders!!!!! started removing it from the stand about 2100 hrs ....called it "done" about 0400 hrs. Alot of nuts and bolt, paint touch up, cursing and ...finally IN. Still gotta do a lot of other stuff for it to be "IN"...in.... but it is resting on the motor mounts and floor jack waiting for the next round of ....put this stuff in.
1654876630705.png

Fbird

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2011
atlanta, ga
finally able to spend a couple hrs LOOKING at the Bird. need to modify radiator lower saddle for new alum rad. :(
Been a little busy last couple weeks HIKING. 1st there was 1 week BSA camp, then WORK...then me and my 2nd EAGLE SCOUT and his friend just did the Standing Indian loop trail on the AT.
1656769062717.jpeg

1656769101434.jpeg

Fbird

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2011
atlanta, ga
headers done, starter done, radaitor mount mod done, shifter mod done, linkage clearance DONE. Electrical is going to SUK but it too will get done. HOPEFULLY we can fire it up IN THE CAR soon but for every 1 thing i seem to FIX ....seems like 2 other things around the house break. :(