1981 Bird resurrection!!

Fbird

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2011
atlanta, ga
She runs....just the damn BMW fan switch (new) isn't working correctly. There is no low temp turn on. :mad: New sitch in the way. Then hooked up the MSD stuff (requires swapping dizzy to gutted one) ...NO FIRE!!! ARGH. Went trhu dizzy alignment 3 times. NO FIRE ..AND starter (new) is starting to drag. discovered end of cable (00 welding cable) was not in good shape...so cut end off and add new, reinstall.Starter problem fixed. Seems I smoked the hei coil.. argh. Dig up another coil, install, STILL NO FIRE. ARGH ARGH. un-hook MSD (just unplug it from dizzy and remove ground wire) re install regular dizzy... FIRE and runs. Was just about to REMOVE MSD box (power and IGN wire are soldered in to harness) toesnd out for troubleshooting-repair) when I looked at wiring diagram.. AGAIN (yes I have the ORIGINAL paperwork from 1991) AHHHHHH I see WTF my brain overlooked. I hooked it up WRONG (this time). It does NOT get a jumper from ignition wire to BATT on the coil. Hooked it up CORRECTLY...all works as designed...it runs! Re-set timing check curve, good start point 16* initial 34 total all in around 2400. Tidy up the loose wires with some very cheap and useless Chinese spiral loom. ARGH...can't seem to buy anything worth a crap anymore! Next up...solenoid and relay HARD mounts in the trunk (never did mount them before).

So recap: finish some hard mounts to allow tidying up wiring. re-install drivers seat. INVENT some kind of breather assembly to fit the HOLLEY AND allow us of my shaker. Confirm fan operation.

Fbird

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2011
atlanta, ga
YAY...2 steps closer ...1 step backward.
Got the Ait Intake stuff DONE!!! I had to cut a little bit on the rad support on the sides of the radiator but thats all!
1660475675672.png

using air inlets from 1983 crossfire FI z28. I bought these almost 30 yrs ago...finally get to use them. Added a sheetmetal attachment piece and a couple screws into the rad support. For finish use I will support them at the inner fender also (once they are actually INSTALLED)

1660475865254.png

Fbird

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2011
atlanta, ga
Slightly modified shaker breather assembly (hammer and block of wood) to adjust for the CARB (its taller than the throttle body assembly that WAS there) and still need ot add inlets to it but...its on and ALMOST good to go. This is a STOCK 1977 Pontiac 400 shaker assembly that has been hammered into submission for the TORKER II intake and holley carb (previously hammered for torker II and Holley 950 trottle body)

1660476069349.png

AND as usual..the bad.....the cs144 alternator crapped out. Only putting out 11.8 volts sooo...new one on the way. Which lead to redoing the serpintine belt pulleys once I discovered that the tensioner pulley clocking is not very good with my overdrive waterpump pulley. argh.

Fbird

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2011
atlanta, ga
Alt swapped out, moved 1 idler pulley, re-clocked tensioner pulley, figured out new belt, had radiator modified for fan switch, contacted HOLLEY to order the new diaphragm for pressure regulator (non retail item...only an engineering number) and lastly got my computer guy setting me up with an old laptop configured specifically to run the COMMANDER 950 software (windows 10 32 bit) so I CAN go back to FUEL INJECTION (in the near future).
Next up, finish moding the breather assembly for the 4" tubes, make some look holders to clip onto the firewall ridge and FINALLY re-install inner fenders so I can FINISH the wiring tidy up process. Since I'm there I might as well add the 4 relay headlight wiring ;)

ELECTRIC FAN TIP:
The placement of the thermal switch is quite important to the operation of the fan. I had a 1/2 NPT bung installed on my new radiator in about the same place as my OLD one. (which was wrong) It was located about 12" DOWN from the top of the core.!!!! BAD IDEA. What was happening is the alum rad was dissipating heat before the fan switch so the motor would go right past the 220* before the fan SWITCH ever got to 180. Eventually the switch would get there and cycle but by then the engine is "out of control". Due to the fuel injection I do not have a 3rd location for water temp on my intake manifold (1 for gauge, 1 for ECU) and I didn't think that fan switch location would be THAT sensitive. Now the fan switch is located directly under the upper hose and I see about a 5* difference in engine temp vs fan turn on.

Fbird

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2011
atlanta, ga
Well i guess I will find out how bad the TA sits very SOON. Inner fenders are finish bolted in, blower motor hole is "covered" and sealed, fenders are re-attached, fan and alt working as designed, rad mount mods work as designed.
Need to finish breather assembly/tubes and tidy up wiring (add fusible wire and distribution block covers, mount the relays) adjust toe ----> OUT (B body spindle mod)

THEN

Put front tires on and SEE what I got!!!!!!

Fbird

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2011
atlanta, ga
1st design ebrake cable adapter shows promise, will finish and confirm (just not the welded part to the lever) Alot of wiring to tidy up. Mounting the ignition buss bar, fan controller, relays and then finish attachment of wires. Straightened out front fender and inner fender as they needed some WORK. Now my 1978 spoilers fit correctly. (Yeah..tall guys up front shorties on the rear...I DON'T CARE...it's what I HAVE!...lol) More MODS to the shaker breather, making the air-tube nipples and final height adjustments....busy busy busy...but she is moving FORWARD ;)

Fbird

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2011
atlanta, ga
FYI swapping to the B-body spindle (for 12" front brakes) required about 3 1/4 full revs on the tie rod nuts (extending) to get front end within safe driving range....to the shop.

Fbird

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2011
atlanta, ga
YAY e-brake is 99% done. Works as designed using standard DRUM brake rear cables. The only thing left is I need to make a little "guide" to keep the threaded rod OFF the floor board. My Bird has subframe connectors and that causes a little "change" in the natural path of the cable assembly.

Fbird

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2011
atlanta, ga
1665410041097.png

still gotta add the relays for the headlights....and I will redo the fan wires at that time since they will be in the same leg of wiring.

Fbird

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2011
atlanta, ga
Had to swap out the Moog 6058 springs (i cut 1/2 coil off) as they were too short. Replaced with 5660 coils straight in and probably need to add a 1/4" spacer. INCHES from driving OUT OF THE BARN....inches...

Latest posts