1981 Camaro Z28

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by MP81, Dec 21, 2017.

1. MP81

MP81 Veteran Member

Yeah - I wouldn't be surprised if the rag joint is in need of replacement. However, it did seem to have minimal play when I was doing the initial diagnosis - I'd grab the steering shaft (closer to the steering box) and have my brother turn the wheel and there appeared to be minimal slop in the joint. All the slop basically was at the box.

I have a feeling the chart has an error and that the Camaro also has an 87-degree total travel, based on the actual text in the article, not 67-degree. Meaning the WZ fullsize box would actually be better than the Monte box - same ratio, but more travel, though lower effort.

And looking into it more, perhaps ordering an actually-new one might be an even better idea. Remans can be hit or miss regarding the same kind of play I'm experiencing. Everything else I've done is new...why buck the trend. Costs more, but it's new. https://www.chevyhardcore.com/tech-...to-rebuild-or-replace-your-steering-box-easy/

https://www.jegs.com/i/Borgeson/153/800130/10002/-1

Or is there a good reman box everyone has had good luck with?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  2. KMcHale

KMcHale Member

Right now I am in the process of removing the A/C compressor. Any pics/tips about removing that and the exhaust manifolds would be a great help. After I get all of that out then I will be asking for pics of your header install and your pypes install.

Thanks

3. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

I got a thread going on pypes exhaust . Some sound clips and different mufflers

4. earnhardtgm3

earnhardtgm3 Veteran Member

I went with a stock quick ratio steering box on my rebuild. I did get a new rag joint and went through the steering shaft assy as well.

5. MP81

MP81 Veteran Member

Was yours a reman box? Or did you have your factory box rebuilt?

The HR article states the Z/28 has a 14:1 box, but the '81 info page here says it has a 13:1 box.

6. earnhardtgm3

earnhardtgm3 Veteran Member

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  7. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

8. MP81

MP81 Veteran Member

Yep - that's the one I'm seeing, and it is 3.0-3.5 turns lock-to-lock, so it is the "slower" box.

If I search a late '80s Caprice, which should have a faster 12.7:1 box with slightly higher effort than the Z/28 box, it also gives me this same slow one.

9. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

I know some folks were converting over to the 3rd gen Iroc Z28 boxes for there 81's not sure what is involved with doing that.

10. MP81

MP81 Veteran Member

It should be a simple swap, considering the '81 has metric fittings and a 30-spline output. However, the 3rd gen boxes also seem to have a much smaller total travel than the stock box, meaning the turning radius gets even worse than it already is.

The Borgeson steering box seems to be a great option, as it is also new, but it is expensive. A "WZ" code B-Body box is the next best thing, provided I can actually find one that is reman'd. It just seems like every reman I run across with metric fittings is a slow one.