1981 Floor pan Issues

Jaseac

Apr 17, 2012
United States
DSC00065.jpg

My question is, Will the standard floor pan wich is supposed to go to base of firewall be enough to cover up the rusted out pans on my car? I can see that the rusted out part goes way up, and no one seems to sell a replacement firewall. Thanks!

79ZED

Veteran Member
Jan 31, 2000
Nanaimo, B.C., Canada
Jaseac,

Short answer : no. The replacement floor pan will go to where you see the "teeth" on the firewall to subframe brace. You can also see where the lap joint is still intact on the rusted piece that comes across from the trans tunnel. You'll need to fabricate the "toe" board or cut one out from a donor car.

John

Jaseac

Apr 17, 2012
United States
That should be simple enough, Doesn't seem to be alot of weird bends or angles there. At what point did the firewall change? 70-73 firewalls are available. No later ones yet

cadmanmeg

Veteran Member
Mar 20, 2006
Bothell, WA
I have the same issue. If you look at the interior section of the site you will see the suggestions made to me when include the one here.

CDesperado

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 1, 2004
Dallas Texas
There are replacement firewalls for late second gens. I have it bookmarked on another PC and will post a link here in a bit. I wouldnt bother trying to fab a toeboard for that car. Once you media blast the firewall, it will likely be peppered with small holes.

Jaseac

Apr 17, 2012
United States
As for the media blasting, theres a place near kansas city that you can rent blasing booths with all the diff types of media at no extra charge. $60 an hour for that, and paint booths with the guns are $60 an hr, min. 2 hours

CDesperado

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 1, 2004
Dallas Texas
I would love to have access to a place like that! I didnt even realize there was such a thing. I will have to check around here in DFW to see if there is something similar.

Regarding those rates, I am paying $120 an hour for my resto shop to do it. They do everything in small chunks and I get charged 15 minutes, minimum, for something that probably took 5.

Jaseac

Apr 17, 2012
United States
Craigslist is your friend, check in your area on there under automotive services. Also alot of parts and pats cars to be found on there. I got my car off there for $350. He want $1200 but I talked him down