1981 Interior panels

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by 1981zapper, Oct 8, 2017.

1. 1981zapper

1981zapper Veteran Member

My original interior panels are all brittle and easily scratched, I'm not sure if this is from sun exposure or something else. I was thinking of re-dying them but the grain pattern has scratch marks all over them and I'm thinking this will show through the new paint.
    Should I be after buying used original panels (or would another set be just as brittle etc.) or am I better off by just buying new reproductions?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Plater Tom

Plater Tom Veteran Member

From what I have seen over the years is that black seems to be the only color that did not deteriorate drastically like the others. I think that your best bet is to buy new ones and dye them. Plater Tom

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I didn’t think Camaros got rear ashtrays

Once they get “chalky”, replacing and “dying” them is your best bet for nice looking panels.

It’s not really a dye... it’s more a light coat of paint which takes a few light coats to completely cover the black.

SEM stuff. I used it for my carmine panels in my 80.

4. smace

smace Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

replace they and dye with sem you will be very glad you did

5. xten

xten Veteran Member

I don't know how expensive the repros are or how well they fit, but SEM makes a texture coating. Sand the "chalkyness" off, texture coat and dye them. You can vary the depth of the texture by sanding with 500 dry before you dye them.

6. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

+1 on the SEM dye/paint have had good results with it. On the fence as to if to refurbish some pieces on mine or just replace them. They seem to be so brittle that is does not look to me that whatever I treat them with will hold up.

7. Burd

Burd Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

image.jpg I've seen them sanded, it looks like crap, I have almost a whole interior in Dk blue, I would sell, on my 78 I have Grand Prix seat backs, they were Burg, and GP's for some reason doesn't have the slot by the striker, I picked these seat backs up from the Reaper, he has more camel pc's, so does Firedan, if these don't go in my car I'm selling, 80 camel was lighter in the firebird world, prob same for Camaro, these were the lighter sprayed darker. The bad thing about spraying dark plastic, you get a chip and it shows. I'll pm you my cell, Firedan is a huge Camel collector.
    I have a lighter front camel arm rest too, no cracks, I've got some other pc's in close to camel too, the console is buckskin, no dope burns, was buckskin a Camaro color? The roof trim is buckskin, they put the light/dark in firebirds in 76-77.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  8. Burd

Burd Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Southern Ontario, hell, come on down, I'm prob close.

9. 1981zapper

1981zapper Veteran Member

I located a guy locally that says he has mint set of tan panels, and says they are not brittle, I will go check them out. I hope they are not brittle like mine are.