1981 RS?

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by Francesco, Jun 1, 2021.

1. Francesco

Francesco Veteran Member

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The brake system (master cylinder) looks like an 81 but there was no RS model in 1981.

3. Francesco

Francesco Veteran Member

Hi Twisted, so then he cloned a probable sport coupe!

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yes. It could very well have started as a base model coupe.
    It's obviously been repainted and there are no Z28 exterior parts present.
    No interior shots to give any more clues to it's original build.

The RS model for the late 2nd gens was a paint/stripe package, RS emblems and a rear spoiler.
    Nothing special about the drive train or interior of that model.

5. 73Z L92

73Z L92 Veteran Member

My 80 was a less than special RS with the 229/three speed combo. Rear spoiler. Two tone paint. Blue body with top black and black on the hood. Black, blue and silver stripes. Rally Sport decals on the rear spoiler and the left and right fender.
    Per the original the sales brochure I got with the car the RS was one level up from base. I'm guessing you could option a V8 and a auto or 4 speed.

Attached Files:

moosey3000 likes this.
  6. RS79

RS79 New Member

Twisted is correct, 1980 was the last year for the 2nd gen Rally Sport option. I purchased my RS new in 79. I ordered it with the optional 350 4 barrel V8, 4-speed transmission, sport suspension and limited slip differential. I could not see spending the extra $$$ on the Z28 just to get a car with the same engine but different stripes, 2 resonators and lower gearing. Especially since there was gas shortage at the time and we were waiting in line at the pump. Plus I really liked the two tone paint scheme. Here is my original invoice………
    upload_2021-6-2_16-39-11.jpeg

Original Brochure. The RS and Z28 package for these era cars was mostly different graphics and a few exterior treatments.
    upload_2021-6-2_16-45-25.jpeg
    There was this fender graphic.....
    upload_2021-6-2_16-50-34.jpeg

Rear spoiler graphic.....
    upload_2021-6-2_16-51-25.jpeg

And two tone paint originally separated by three tone pre bent stripes. But when I re painted the car about 20 years ago the original three tone pre bent stripes were available, but very expensive. So I used this roll striping that was pretty close to the original pre bent stripes. The other graphics were original GM NOS.
    upload_2021-6-2_16-56-30.jpeg

The place I ordered my striping from had a "side swipe" graphic set that matched the striping that I used. It blended from the "Tangerine" stripe color to yellow to match my car. So I cut and modified it to make my own hood graphic. You can kind of see it here in this picture.

upload_2021-6-2_17-0-50.jpeg

Here is a better look......
    upload_2021-6-2_17-6-47.jpeg

So the graphics on mine are not totally original, but neither is the engine, exhaust or wheels. But this gives you a pretty good run down on what a late second generation Rally Sport really was.

Attached Files:

TTR230 likes this.
  7. Francesco

Francesco Veteran Member

Cool! Yours was on order from way back...Thanks for sharing this stuff.

8. 73Z L92

73Z L92 Veteran Member

Just FYI. If anyone needs pics of the decal placement on the fenders, doors or spoiler PM me with your cell number and I will take and send any pics needed.
    My 1980 is a completely original 28,000 mile never been painted car.

9. RS79

RS79 New Member

I have the Factory Assembly Manual that shows the correct location of all the decals with dimensions if anybody needs them. That is what I used when I replaced mine. Pictures are OK if you take them with a ruler shown, but the best way to locate them is with Illustrations and dimensions.

So if anybody needs that info let me know and I will scan those pages from the manual.

10. Glava

Glava Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nice looking RS!!!
    I was considering an RS, but found a used 79 Z28 4spd in Sept 79 with 3k miles -paid $5,900.00. Another difference is the Z has the aluminum case T-10, which saves a little weight.