1981 Steering Box Upgrade

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by TwinnEngines, Jul 20, 2015.

1. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

On my 70, I switched from a 12.7:1 Saginaw box to the 12.7:1 Delphi 600 box (they often just call them 12:1) I love it. No looking back for me.

Mine is the Detroit Speed 600, but any 600 box is a major improvement over the rebuilt Saginaw unit. The Saginaws feel overboosted to me. The DSE 600 is a heavier feeling box, but you get used to that really quick and it makes a difference in feeling in control of the car on high speed corners. I say spend the money for the 600. I don't regret the decision. Drives like a modern car now, but with the extra benefit of the quick ratio.

2. warped

warped Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sitting in my command bunker waiting for the zombi
    It is an easy upgrade. The 600 box will already have the metric fittings the same as your 81 and the rag joint is the same. It is a direct bolt in. Good luck.

3. TwinnEngines

TwinnEngines Veteran Member

Any particular brand recommendations?

4. 1981z28g92

1981z28g92 New Member

Depends on what you want to spend. AGR is fine for a good rebuilt box. I'd recommend avoiding any over the counter kind of parts store specials. Many times they don't differentiate or check if their boxes are the correct ratio.

5. warped

warped Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sitting in my command bunker waiting for the zombi
    I got mine from lee Manufacturing but a recent post suggested Tom has folded his business. He's been around for a long time, probably decided retirement looked good. I know Dave at ptfb was offering a 600 series box but not sure if he stocked them or ordered as needed. Detroit Speed offers them as well, I'm sure others do as well. Like suggested, I would be leery of getting an unknown rebuilt from the corner parts store but that's just me. Good luck.

6. bigdav160

bigdav160 Veteran Member

The Dephi 600 box is a new design (sometimes referred to as a Jeep box?) and superior in feel and tightness to the old saginaw box.

7. BamaRocker

BamaRocker Veteran Member

What about pitman arms...Straight or bent model for this set up.

8. RICARDO1969

RICARDO1969 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Subscribed.