1981 Z28 350/Automatic Vacuum Hose Routing

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by carnut4life, Jan 9, 2021.

1. carnut4life

carnut4life Member

Anyone out there have a picture of the vacuum hose routing at the back of the carb an original car? I'm finally getting around to putting the original ECM harness and computer controlled carburetor and distributor back in my Mom's Z28 but I'm having a hard time try to determine what goes where since most of it was removed or disconnected 30 years ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Look up the emissions sticker for 81 and they will help you connect them

3. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

4. carnut4life

carnut4life Member

Thanks 80sz. I'm looking for a picture from an actual car, there's a bunch of other stuff back there that tie in with T's and I want to get it as correct as possible. Most people(including my stepdad) ripped as much of this stuff off as they could as soon as they got rid of the electronic carb so it might be pretty difficult to find a pic from an original car.

nwarky and 80sz like this.
  5. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Get searching, I don’t have a actual Photo for you

6. PThomas

PThomas New Member

My second car was a 1981 Z28 4-speed with a 305. It was so slow, even by standards from that era. Worse, it only had slightly more of a rumble than a Caprice, even though it had dual exhaust. I drove it like that for about a year until I had saved up enough money to pull all the emission stuff out and replace what I needed. Ripping all that poo out and removing the catalytic converter made the car more responsive (maybe even a little peppy), and even that 305 sounded so good coming out of the good ole stock Z28 Resonators. I would never put that back on the car. It certainly isn't desirable.

7. carnut4life

carnut4life Member

I know what you're saying PThomas, the stock exhaust systems on these cars are pretty restrictive. I'm running a mild computer compatible roller cam in my Mom's Z28 with true dual exhaust system with dual cats. The car runs good for what it is and sounds amazing so I'm happy with it from that point but without the CCC computer hooked up the torque convertor won't lock up in 2nd and 3rd gears like its suppose to. When Mom bought the car in 1983 I was 11 and didn't know the torque convertor locked but I knew it was shifting more than twice when she would take off so I thought the car was special so I'm gonna get it working again if it kills me. I can get everything hooked up without a picture, I'd just like to make sure I'm tying everything in like they did at the factory so I don't have to re-do it later if I find out they routed it different than I did. Hard to believe but between the carb and the intake there are 10 different vacuum sources on the darn thing!

8. RickM

RickM Veteran Member

81Emissions.jpg

Here you go, it looks worse than it is. Some vac hoses are smaller than others but you can figure it out.
    RickM

9. carnut4life

carnut4life Member

My car has the emission routing sticker on it already but the rear vacuum break for the carb is goes where vacuum sensor is shown on the sticker so I'd like to see how and where the factory T'd it. When I hooked it up yesterday it looked like crap and was hitting the intake vacuum T directly behind the carb so I think there's a part I'm missing that would clean it up and make it function better.

nwarky likes this.
  10. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

The solenoids were on the fender by the battery if I remember correctly. If location is what your after.