1994 Chevrolet Blazer 6.5 Liter Turbo Diesel

Flynt

Veteran Member
Jul 9, 2003
Alabama, USA
This morning I test drove a diesel Blazer. Anyone ever owned one of these with the 6.5-liter turbo diesel? Does anyone have experience with this particular turbo diesel engine?

ol' grouch

Veteran Member
Jul 4, 2013
Evansville, In.
This morning I test drove a diesel Blazer. Anyone ever owned one of these with the 6.5-liter turbo diesel? Does anyone have experience with this particular turbo diesel engine?

Probably a former military unit. Pretty robust but not the most powerful engine ever made. Is everything like the gas cap on chains? I've tried to buy a couple through the years but the owners were a little too proud of them for my wallet.

danbrennan

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 13, 1999
Brighton, MI
Those old 6.2L and 6.5L diesels are pretty underpowered compared to the later Chrysler\Cummins, Ford DIT, and GM Duramax diesels.

Flynt

Veteran Member
Jul 9, 2003
Alabama, USA
Probably a former military unit. Pretty robust but not the most powerful engine ever made. Is everything like the gas cap on chains? I've tried to buy a couple through the years but the owners were a little too proud of them for my wallet.
This one is a loaded-up civilian Blazer. It is white with blue bucket seats and console.

Last edited:

Randy 81

Veteran Member
Oct 28, 2009
Loganville, Ga
I have a 1993 6.5L TD Silverado with a 2000s HumVee takeout engine in it. They are decent engines, just don't expect them to perform like the newer diesels do. Fuel economy is pretty good, getting about 20-22 on the hwy, 17-18 on back roads. With the 1994-up trucks, you do have to deal with the PMD, but plenty of solutions out there for the PMD. Basically the PMD gets hot mounted on the side of the injector pump, so they have relocation kits for it to keep it cool.

The 6.2/6.5 has been around for quite a while, with AM General taking over production of the 6.5L after GM stopped using in their trucks. There is a ton of info on them out there and the aftermarket has plenty of improvements for them. Good thing is since they don't have the popularity of the Duramax, you can usually pick them up for reasonable prices. I figure if the 6.5 dies, I can drop a BBC in its place easily.

1980RS

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2006
MN
Those old turbo diesels are pretty slow. Back in '98 when all the guys would go to the track we have a huge hill to up on I94 so we all would race up the hill to see who's truck could pull better. One time the guy I worked with had his uncles 6.5 turbo diesel and I had my tbi 7.4 Subby and that turbo truck would destroy me. We go to the hill and we hit it, I waked that turbo by 5 truck lengths (with a car on the trailer) in high gear. When we got to the track I asked him what happened, he said his truck was flat out. At the time the only diesel that could out pull that 7.4 were the F350's diesel trucks.

Flynt

Veteran Member
Jul 9, 2003
Alabama, USA
I have a 1993 6.5L TD Silverado with a 2000s HumVee takeout engine in it. They are decent engines, just don't expect them to perform like the newer diesels do. Fuel economy is pretty good, getting about 20-22 on the hwy, 17-18 on back roads. With the 1994-up trucks, you do have to deal with the PMD, but plenty of solutions out there for the PMD. Basically the PMD gets hot mounted on the side of the injector pump, so they have relocation kits for it to keep it cool.

The 6.2/6.5 has been around for quite a while, with AM General taking over production of the 6.5L after GM stopped using in their trucks. There is a ton of info on them out there and the aftermarket has plenty of improvements for them. Good thing is since they don't have the popularity of the Duramax, you can usually pick them up for reasonable prices. I figure if the 6.5 dies, I can drop a BBC in its place easily.
What is a PDM? Thanks for the information.

ol' grouch

Veteran Member
Jul 4, 2013
Evansville, In.

From the late 70's to 2000 or so when he passed away, my cousin would get military surplus vehicles and would in his words, "Pimp them out". Some of them looked like they came from the factory. He made good money at it and I see some still running around. The only luxury deuce and a half I've ever seen he built.

Latest posts