1LE Front and WS6 Rear Brakes with Manual Master Cylinder?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Jon Randolph, Jul 25, 2018.

1. dailycruiser81

dailycruiser81 Veteran Member

I got the caliper number from Dave, at the time He did not have in stock and was going out of town. I ordered the calipers and am stuck with them. Just when you order confirm minimum and maximum rotor thickness with Wilwood by caliper part number.

2. Jon Randolph

Jon Randolph Member

Yes, but what rotors are you using that are 0.81” or .9” ?

3. dailycruiser81

The caliper will only accept .81
    Only rotor available for trans am rear is .9
    Just saying review caliper specs . Just ordered my second set of calipers

4. dailycruiser81

Also brake lines go straight in instead of the side adapter

5. 79T/Aman

79T/Aman Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NastyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

Saying it does not fit is a vague statement, I will from our conversation try to explain the problem.
    The WS6 caliper bracket has two welded threaded inserts for the caliper pins to screw into, well the weld inserts have a flange on the back side, from what I was told the caliper hits that flange, mainly because the caliper is narrower than the stock iron caliper.

After the call from dailycruiser81 I did a little measuring.
    But first Wilwood lists the D154 caliper for use on up to 1.04" rotor width, makes sense as G-body front rotors are 1".

Wilwood pads vs stock pads were within .015" of each other
    WS6 rear rotor is .900"
    GM D154 cast iron calipers has 3" between the mounting ears.
    Wilwood aluminum has 2.74" .260" difference, "caliper "float" is reduced by this amount between the two calipers, I have not yet measured if this lose of "float" distance is on the inboard or outboard side of the caliper, if I were the Wilwood engineer I would have split it or better yet added all the material to the outside of the casting and kept the 3" GM gap

on the WS6 rear end I have here at the shop there is .340" available caliper "float distance

6. 79T/Aman

This is the part # I provided, wilwood 140-12099, this morning I thought well why don't I take time and check for myself the physical fit as my calculations said they should fit with 1/8" to spare, here are the results, they fit everything is loosely fitted (not going to mare new parts)
    ws6 brackets 002.JPG

7. 79T/Aman

I need to add to this a little, I did a little more digging, the part # i provided was a kit that included the calipers 120-11875 unbenouced to me that caliper is made for a .081 rotor thickness I had simply ordered a set of D154 calipers for a 1" rotor from my Wilwood rep they should have sent me the kit with the 120-11874 (one number off) in any case even the wrong calipers did physical fit with room to spare, I'm not saying it's right and apologize.

8. dailycruiser81

It's the caliper itself not the insert on the bracket. The caliper only accepts a .81 rotor that is not available for this rear end. I would and will order parts from Dave any day of the week. He is extremely helpful and knowledgeable.