2.8 v6 questions need help...lost..

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Mathes79Z, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Mathes79Z

Mathes79Z Veteran Member

Hey,

Man its been a while since ive been on here, the poor girls just sittin in the driveway waiting for me to get the paperwork done for custom tags so i can get it back on the road, new demon only has about two quarts of gas run through it.
    But, the light is starting to show, i believe next summer she should be back rollin the mean streets. and if i can swing the budget i might even put the fuel injection on it, all i need is a wiring harness and custom pcm. and if i get motivated enough over the winter ill tear the stock wiring harness down and rewire it with new loom and remove all the uneeded wires. so then 700 dollers later ill have a pcm.

anywho, babling.

my work beater is now a 1988 chevy celebrity with the 2.8 MPFI and 4-speed auto.
    I found a really good site about these motors at www.60degreev6.com :bowtie:
    but i am not a member and im not sure if i want to sign up on an account i wont make use of much.
    But since ive needed to post here anyhow and this is one of the few places ive found accurate help with varying ages, i pick here...so.

120,000 miles, nearly all highway, one owner who was my great aunt that recently passed, driven easy, always had oil changed at 3000 miles with what i believe was regular mobil 5W30 since her oil stickers say mobil lube and she always had it changed at the same place.
    I have what sounds like a rod knock but isnt very loud and sounds more like piston slap but with this 2.8 i cant quite tell. its more noticable when cold and almost totally goes away when hot but not all the time, the noise level vaires when hot, sometimes its quiet, sometimes not and you rarely hear it while cruising. and it also has a slight miss thats more noticable at idle.
    The best advice i was given so far is that it may actually be a lifter thats stuck since it was sitting for a long time and she hardly drove it and what im hearing so clearly in the cab and not so much outside is the rocker slapping and by pouring a pint of brake fluid in the oil and driving a few days it should clean it up and then change the oil.
    So, anyone here familiar with the lil 2.8? its the year for fuel injection and alminum heads. looks to be a very stout setup, i'd love to have this setup in a cavalier with a 5-speed (and i know they make them, i just wish i had one.. a Z24).
    So, whats my chances is a rod or piston, it doesnt seem to leak oil either, didnt take much to clean the block with a can of degreaser, one of the cleanest 88's ive seen.

so, lay it on me 2.8 nuts.

Thanks
    Everyone drive safe.

2. slow80sc

slow80sc Veteran Member

One thing I have seen alot of in any of the 60 degree chevy V6's is the rockers do like to come loose after a while. You may want to re-adjust the rockers, the same as a sbc, zero lash and a half turn more in firing order. My 3.1 makes all kinds of raps when I start it cold but it shuts right up when warmed up. It's a 20,000 mile reman deal.

3. Phil G

Phil G Veteran Member

I had an '89 Grand Prix SE with the 2.8 and a 5-speed and loved that car!

Amazing how well it ran with that tiny engine. Would spin the tires easily and bark the 1-2 upshift.

Sold it at 145,000 miles and it still didn't use a quart of oil between changes.

I've never heard of putting brake fluid in an engine, but have heard of draining a quart of oil and replacing it with a quart of ATF. Run it for a while and then do an oil and filter change. If it's a sticky lifter that should help.

Rod will knock cold or hot but piston slap will get quieter as it heats up IIRC.

You may already know this but make sure you change the plugs with the engine cold and put antiseeze on the threads of the new plugs. It's REAL easy to rip the threads out otherwise, but a Helicoil will fix it.
    :)

4. patgizz

patgizz Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

i had a stuck lifter in a 350 that sat for 6 years. i changed to synthetic oil after the tick driving me nuts for 3000 miles, and (royal purple) unstuck the lifter in one day. changed back to dino oil on the next change.

possible you're having spark knock from carboned up chambers? lots of "little old lady" cars have that problem.

5. Eric

Eric Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Those engines are prone to piston slap- but as Pat mentioned- it tends to diminish with temperature. However- with 120,000 miles the car is hardly "virginal" and piston slap tends to get worse as the engine wears.

My wife has a 3.1L engine (in a 2003 car- a-holes at GM) and it has terrible piston slap right after an oil change for the first 500 miles- temp will diminish it somewhat- but not completely- and this engine only has 50,000 miles on it.

6. Chevynut67

Chevynut67 Veteran Member

You can also try SEAFOAM in the oil to unstick lifters or put in the PCV valve for the combustion chambers.

7. Mathes79Z

Mathes79Z Veteran Member

leanin away from piston slap and more twords rockers, sounds like a whole cylinder (both intake and exaust) hard to tell, its definatly comming from the back. when hot it doesnt make any sound running but at idle hot will sound like loose rockers.
    Not easy to get the valve cover off the back, for anyone who hasnt seen these motors the valve cover is nearly vertical.
    Im actually hoping that is gummed up lifters that wont allow cold oil flow but allow some pressure rise when hot thin oil flows through.
    i know its not ping because it shouldnt ping that bad at idle.
    not a rod, few hard mountain pulls made sure of that. it actually got quieter.
    if i drive it all day the noise will totally go away, short trips it stays around even after is warmed up, seems the longer it runs the quieter.
    at first when i got it, it sounded like a hollow knock, now its more light and raspy.
    guess ill have to give the ol tranny fluid/brake fluid method a whirl, then switch over to either Amsoil (which i sell) or mobil1 (which i used before i sold amsoil and trust almost as much as amsoil).
    Other than that and the tranny taking forever and a day to shift into overdrive followed by a slamming lock up converter (which i think is all due to a filter thats in need of a major change cuz some tranny cleaner in a bottle made it shift a whole lot better) and itll be a good work car.
    sweet smooth VERY SOFT ride.
    Thanks guys, if anyone comes up with anything, drop me some info ;)
    :screwup: