2 Prong oil pressure sender wiring

Chevyforever

Veteran Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ontario, Canada
The oil pressure sender on my car has 2 prongs and the factory wiring pigtail has 3 wires. I need to replace the pigtail and all I can find are 2 wire units. I never grasped electronics, how will I be able to make this work ? Have not been able to determine wire colours yet as they are covered in undercoating, hopefully when I can peel back the wire loom the colours will be visible. S-939_Front__ra_p.jpg 1S6548__ra_p.jpg

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
Here’s the diagram for an 80…

1657031084339.jpeg

I don’t know where to get that 3-wire plug but any 2nd gen from 77-81 should have the electric choke and use the 3-wire connector.

Last edited:

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
That's actually an oil pressure Switch and not a true sending unit.
It will only work for an idiot light. (Which is what all 2nd gen Camaros got for oil pressure.)

Chevyforever

Veteran Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Planning on relocating to oil port at the rear of block so that the new parts don't melt down from header heat like the the originals did. ( oil leak soaked them and it went downhill from that point as determined in post-mortem) All I have to determine is which 2 of 3 wires to connect, looks like Tan and BRN/WHT.

Last edited:

Chevyforever

Veteran Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Finally got the chance to clean off the wires to the oil switch and they are light blue, tan or light brown and ORANGE. These are oe wires, I'm original owner. Don't see orange on the wiring schematic that was kindly provided above by Twisted_Metal.

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
What year is your car?
Is it a Canadian car?

According to my Haynes manual... Light blue, tan and orange were used from 77-79.
(The wiring colors marked on the schematic I posted are supposed to be correct for 80-81.)

Connect tan and blue together on one side of the plug and connect the orange to the other side.