20 years ago today The Intimidator died

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Camarolina, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Camarolina

Camarolina Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

BillyDean7173 likes this.
  2. Camarolina

HOA meeting.jpg

3. Camarolina

4. La.Z8

La.Z8 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

As already stated " great post"! Always a Dale fan myself.

1972_Z-28 and Camarolina like this.
  5. 1972_Z-28

1972_Z-28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks lot of memories brought back by this thread!!!

Camarolina likes this.
  6. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

great stuff.....i was a fan back then ..... i met Dale in a strange way .....me and wifey were hauling butt after a Daytona 500 race taking a shortcut under the grandstands for a quick exit after the race . Had to negotiate alot of metal works , duck and climb over stuff , but it was a shortcut and i was young and spry . We were sprinting up and over these obstacles, i ducked down under a bar , as i came up i found myself face to face with Dale . He had his cap pulled down low to hide i think. But we were nose to nose , he peaked out from under the cap , we had almost collided...LOl.... i he grinned that huge smile , i said , sorry Dale i almost ran over ya . He says you and everybody else today .... we laughed , shook my hand . Nice guy. I once had a garage vip pass at charlotte early 90's . I mosey over to Darrell Waltrips stall , nobody there , so i thought , Ill go see my fav driver tide ride car . Hood was off , i loved cars and engines of course, so like any good ol boy , i was bent down over the fender with my head down in the engine compartment having a look see. I had a feeling , that someone very near me. I looked back over my shoulder and up .... OH ! ...Hi Mr Waltrip ! he was looking over my shoulder , trying to figure out what i was studying so hard . I think he realized i was just a plain fan interested in his car . He grinned , i told him good luck and we shook hands .

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  7. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Awesome post and tribute Camarolina....I still recall where I was and the sheer disbelief I felt when hearing he died. Yup, for many, NASCAR died that day.

Camarolina likes this.
  8. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I met this man Richard Petty ; long ago as a child of 11 years of age. 1970 . It must have been around the time of the Martinsville fall race . Seems like it was a sat morning 11:30 ish My buddy Johnny from up the street , is pounding on my parents door. He is out of breath , " You gotta go with me right NOW ! ". " Richard Petty is next door at my neighbors home. This was maybe 250 feet from my house. Right ..?? I was calling BS . He says no lie ! We scurry off up the street. Sure enough the whole family were there at another friends home next to Johnnys . That family were nascar crazy , knew Pettys and had a old Dodge or Plymouth car for sale from maybe the late twenties, early 30's parked around back , it was fully restored massive thing . Richard was there to purchase the car . Everybody was hanging around behind the friends home looking at the old car . He seemed like a gaint basketball player to me. Mrs Petty , Kyle and i a baby girl were all,there too. Kyle was much younger than me looking , he was shy . That was a big day for me .

riderwestslope and BillyDean7173 like this.
  9. Camarolina

10. Camarolina

Earnhardt's IROC wins.

The best are #3 in the little blue car, #8 in the tan car and #9 in the red car.