2005 Silverado HVAC question.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by FatnLow, Jun 6, 2017.

1. FatnLow

FatnLow Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

For a while I've been ignoring my air in my 2005 Silverado not working. It's like no blower motor. This has dual climate control and auto setting for more info. I saw recall's on blower motor resistor but after warranty was up. I did some testing. I get 12v at the plug before resistor. I also checked at blower motor and got 6v. I figure it was lower due to auto setting?? So, I pulled blower out and tested with jumper wires and it spun up. All fuses look good. I saw a tech tip that said if you are getting voltage at blower motor resistor is good. So I don't know. Any tips??

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I replaced an air door servo motor on mine last summer, it's a common failure. IIRC, I could hear the fan blowing though.

3. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Fan switch good in all positions? Mine has lost the highest speed setting....and that stupid blender damper door gets stuck blowing hot air until I unplug it and restart the truck.

4. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

The wire harness going into the blower motor is too short and pulls sideways on the plug. Eventually causes a short, and burns the connector. It is right above the passenger's feet on the bottom of the blower motor.
    http://sparkys-answers.com/2008/07/2005-chevrolet-silverado-blower-inop.html
    Dampers are a pain also. You cannot test one without it installed. The servo needs to be set to center, then tested installed so it can find it's limits. Test it uninstalled, and the servo overcenters and won't return - the gear needs to be re-centered before installing again.

5. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Power/ground the motor manually and see if it spins.

6. FatnLow

I don't ever hear the fan spinning up. I can hear the other door motors though. When I'm going down the road with it set at 74 it barely pushes cold air out of all vents.

7. FatnLow

It does.
    Dirtmod I saw sparky's thread. My plug is different than the one in the pictures. Both plugs are clean.
    John The fan switch is really just up and down arrows on it. I never hear the fan.

8. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The diagram I just pulled up says you don't have a resister, it's a control module like the newer stuff. I would want to use the Tech II and command stuff off and on and see if the commands at the HVAC module are getting were they should. I'm assuming you don't have access to a Tech II. It's going to be impossible to pinpoint without it. You might get lucky wit ha guess but I'd recommend a good mechanic with the right tool for bidirectional controls.

9. FatnLow

Thanks that is what I needed to know. Now locate a tech 2 I have OBDWiz but that wont do it I don't think.

10. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Initiate percussive maintenance procedure!

My Jimmy fan worked normally... Most days.
    When it didn't and I gave it a good rap with my knuckles, it would start.
    I replaced the fan... Problem solved.

Good Luck!