2005 Vette LS2 Engine in a 1979 Camaro

Brian Anderton

Jan 1, 2022
I just talked to Phillip at Howell a few minutes ago. He told me pretty much the same thing. I'm going to wait 'til I have the motor in my possesion, buy the camshaft and springs, throttle body (cable) and then call them again with my setup. I will make sure my transmission (T56 wide ratio 6 speed) and 3.55 rear gears are available first also. That is my plan. And I will also have the ECM control the cooling fans either on or off (not PWM). 205 on 195 sounds a little narrow to me. I might widen that a bit. 73Z how often do you fans cycle on/off?

73Z L92

Veteran Member
Jan 25, 2011
Carlos, MN
Cycling of the fans depends on how hot it's out. Stop and go traffic is the only time the fan comes on mine. I run a single 16" Spal fan with no shroud on all my LS swaps.
My 98 Wrangler LS6/4L60E has 13 years on it and it never has over heated. But I always run the biggest radiator I can fit. I use the generic LS swap radiators.
The nice part about using the ECM to control the fans is that you can adjust the on/off settings to what ever you want. If you decide to use two fans make sure you tell the supplier so they can supply two fan relays.

ErikNORCAL

Veteran Member
Aug 6, 2003
now in VA
73Z has covered it. Your decision is between GM and an aftermarket ecm/kit. If GM, it would probably be wise to stick close to original configuration (cam swap isn’t a big deal, it’s the computer stuff). If going aftermarket, you likely will already have some pretty advance additional features available in the operating system… and also have the ability to make tweaks/adjustments along the way without going back to a tuner or having to buy something like HP tuners to make the changes.
Either way.. they both work well..and don’t forget to have fun!

Last edited:

Brian Anderton

Jan 1, 2022
Who makes a good reliable positive traction/limited slip center unit for my Camaro? It has the stock 10 bolt 8.5 ring gear. 79 base Camaro (came with 305 CID). Eaton, Auburn and GM True Track are the ones I'm looking at so far.

73Z L92

Veteran Member
Jan 25, 2011
Carlos, MN
I've run the Tru Trac in a number of hot rod builds and they have worked well.
If I remember right you can install a 30 spline Tru Trac and buy 30 spline axles from Moser for a good upgrade strength wise.

Brian Anderton

Jan 1, 2022
Okay, I'll ask the question another way. I'm not going to be drag racing this car. Maybe a clutch dump now and then but not regularly. Is the 30 spline axle a worthwhile upgrade? I'm definitely considering the 4 bolt axle/bearing retention plates. Just don't know if 30 spline axles are necessary.

accelo

Jan 12, 2015
washington
"Mixing and matching electronics, and their operating systems, from various model years is not necessarily easy breezy or even painlessly possible."
This is the best advice out there. Use everything you can from the original car. For this reason I would stay with the drive by wire. Especially if you want the cruise control in the future.
I would consider the choice as all OEM equipment or Full Aftermarket. Don't forget to get the VIN from the vehicle the motor was removed from.
Makes it easier to get the correct program downloaded into the ECM. If you can do the wiring that will save you a lot of money.
Placement of the ECM is a big decision. If you go aftermarket you have a choice on the wire length from the motor to the computer.
OEM you are pretty much stuck with the wire length of the factory harness.
My friend has a LS3 in his 68 Camaro. Traction and tires are a big issue. His car has stock wheel tubs.
Smoking um up to freeway speeds on the on ramp is exhilarating to say the least. This is with the stock cam and no headers.
He also has a 9" Ford differential. If you are using a 10-bolt the differential will liklye give you issues if you have traction.
A 12 Bolt will likely be ok. It's all dependent on tire width/traction.
No tires? Then even the 10-Bolt will likely live.
Good luck on your project.

Brian Anderton

Jan 1, 2022
I decided to go with Howell for the ECM (VATS deleted) and their wiring harness to have it lengthened and put ECM under the seat. I will change the TB to a cable pull and go with about ~205mm. This system will come with 2 O2 sensors/bungs, all relays needed for power up fuel pump and cooling fans, 255 lph fuel pump and conversion from DBW to cable. A/C and Cruise will operate independent of the ECM. I will be using a manual tranny so ECM will only control the engine. This should make for a fairly simple and clean setup. I'm planning to use a T-56 wide ratio with 2.97 1st and .5 6th gear with 3.73 rear. Rear tire/wheels I'm thinking 255/55 R17. This is what's in my head right now. Any suggestions on wheel offset for the stock wheel wells?

71Camaro707

Nov 13, 2018
Installing Terminator X EFI in my 1971. Wondering where would be best location to run the wire harness in to the inside of the car? Where on the fire to cut a hole and add grommet?

Latest posts