2011 Honda Odyssey Cats?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 2nd79, Jan 9, 2017.

1. 2nd79

2nd79 Member

I have a friend whose 2011 Honda Odyssey with 68,000 miles is repeatedly throwing P0420 and P0430. She had it diagnosed as needing the catalytic converters replaced. I pulled the codes, and it does seem like the downstream O2 sensors are moving too much. She doesn't have the cash to have a shop do it, and the cats are like $200 each. They are basically attached to the manifolds, one between the engine and radiator, one between the engine and firewall. How hard is this job? Is this something that I, as reasonably competent guy can handle? I have been servicing my own cars my whole life, but I would like to have a little more insight before I try to attack a potentially huge project on somebody else's car.

2. sal70ss

sal70ss Veteran Member

That should be covered by the manufacturer warranty emissions system for 100,000 miles. I would check on that first.

3. 2nd79

2nd79 Member

Thank you. According to a document I found on Honda's site, the cats should be covered for 8 years/80,000 miles. I will have her check into that.

4. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

Just read a link that opened a pdf explaining warranty coverage on Honda vehicles.

Basically unless the cats were damaged due to an engine issue that IS covered under warranty...she'll have to pony up for the replacement.

5. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

i thought the federal emissions warranty was 8 yrs or 80k and would cover this? Is it not the case any more? My dad had a cat on a Nissan truck go bad past the regular warranty period and it was replaced

6. camarolife78

camarolife78 Veteran Member

Fed requires All cats in that year to be covered by the 8yr, 80k requirement. Needs to go back to Honda....