2012 Norwood Gathering

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by THNDER, Aug 27, 2012.

1. THNDER

THNDER Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I attended a very special event this past weekend, by invitation only, along with Ron Liebert, and a fellow Gateway Camaro club Member Jim Hairston and Bob Routt, another long time friend, and member of this board was in attendance. It was held in Norwood Ohio, on the 6th floor of the old parking garage built by GM back in 1968 for the GM workers. The plant was closed in 1987, and the parking garage is all that is left. The main purpose of this gathering is for the Norwood assembly plant workers reunion. There were over 1500 people in attendance, and 22 Norwood built cars on display, for the retirees to enjoy and reminice over. Phil Borris worked his butt off to put this whole thing together, and I was very honored to be part of it. The reason I posted this thread in this section, is we always talk about what is correct, or what is not, and how certain things were done during the manufacturing process, and sometimes we remark about quality control back in the day. We forget about the HUMAN factor. The folks I talked with were VERY proud of the product they built, and were always consious about quality control. The average job was given 50 seconds to complete, they built roughly 50-55 cars an hour in 1970. Simply stated, they did the very best they could do in the time they had to do it in. I thanked several of the retirees for the fine product that they built for us, and one gentleman stopped me, and then thanked me,saying that he was so happy that there was so much interest in the product he had a hand in building. That some how it was his legacy. There was no juging, just display cars, but it was one of the best events I have ever been to. People make the differance. Thanks Phil!!!:bowtie:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A shot from the roof of where the plant used to be.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2012
  2. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

we at Tarrytown cared about quality control also . there was a thing called an "audit " where they pulled 10 cars off each line and ripped them apart . 130 was a perfect audit and if your department archived it , gm would pass out glasses or mugs or hats that said " the 130 club ". if you were consistently below that , your plant would be layed off eventually . attrition and location and the cost of operation was the demise of norwood and tarrytown . at least tarrytown lasted till 96 . id love to talk to those guys and see how tarrytown compared to norwood .

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  3. THNDER

This was a very nice couple all the way from Sweden!
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2012
  4. THNDER

twozs, There is more to it than that, but I am not at liberty to say what. I can tell you that Norwood was one of the most efficient plants, at the time of it's closing.

5. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

what ever the secret is , they're both flat as a pancake , and alot of people suffered . GM is a soulless company . in 84 when the X body ran its run , we were "shopping" for a platform . in 85 we retooled with a 1 year lay off for the A body ( very expencive ), why not norwood ? we even ran full production (9hr) for 4 straight years of the A body ( with 3 other plants running 8 hr scedule on the A ) . Tarrytown also was top of the line with its new paint shop and automated rail service . that led to Tarrytown building the NEW APV ( all plastic vehicle ) Chevy lumina van ( and what ever that Pontiac monstrosity equivalent was ) not norwood . norwood didn't even have a production model assigned to it after the camaro . we always had a model on the horizon until that van went south . we built airplanes during WWII . we built impalas , trucks , X body's , B body's , plastic poop boxes . tarrytown had some history , it was one of GMs oldest plants , thus its demise .

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  6. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mike, thanks for sharing the pictures, I was hoping you would post some! I'm sure it was a good history lesson all crammed into one day. Nice to see that you & Ron were part of it, sorry I wasn't able to be there, maybe some other year?

7. owners2

owners2 Veteran Member

Looks like it was a great gathering. Had been invited by Phil to bring my 70 Z stripe delete Copo car in process but had vacation plans. Maybe next year. Keep up the good work ...

8. THNDER

Well last time I checked, camaros and firebirds wer'nt built at tarrytown. This is a second generation CAMARO website. I am just trying to honor the people that built THESE cars. No disrespect to you, but can you let the NORWOOD plant have it's 15 minutes of fame? Mike

9. Bob R

Bob R R.I.P 11/20/16 Staff Member

It was a great event. I was honored with the invitation. It was great to see some of my favorite friends again. You are right Mike, Phil worked his ass off for this event and it showed. It was perfect. You could see it in the workers eyes. How amazed that you and others could take care of their Babies for so long. While I was watching your car while you had to go get that hot dog, the one gentleman came by and said he installed the bumperettes and a few other things while he was there. But he dreaded the tire and wheel installation. Said that was the worse jobs on the line. No wimpy men allowed for that task.

My only regret is that I didn't get to stay long enough to see the parade of cars. I had that flight to catch as you well know. I am already looking forward to next year.

Glad that everyone made it home safe.

See you Phil, Dino and others that I cannot recall at the MCACN in November.

Bob

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  10. Bob R

Bob R R.I.P 11/20/16 Staff Member

Mike, by the way, did you get the gentleman and his wife that came from Sweden hooked up with our website?

I was amazed when he said there are 800 Camaro's in Sweden! Never would of guessed there were that many.