2013 ford transmission problem

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 76 camaro car 1, Oct 23, 2019.

1. 76 camaro car 1

76 camaro car 1 Veteran Member

Hoping someone here can help me with a transmission problem I am having with a 2013 ford taurus police interceptor. I bought the car wrecked and built it back. About a 2" section of the plastic transmission filler neck was broken off in the accident so I put the cap on and slapped a piece of duct tape over the missing piece. I don't think the missing piece is my problem but just telling about it in case it could be. The transmission fluid is reddish pink and full. It does not leak out of the broken filler neck. Other than the missing piece there is no visible damage to the engine or transmission. The problem I am having is the car jerks in 1st and 2nd gears with normal acceleration. Feels just like a engine miss but almost positive its the transmission. If heavy accelerating there is no jerking in 1st or 2nd. No jerking is present in any other gear anytime. Transmission shifts great and does not slip.The engine runs great It is a AWD transmission. I took the car to the ford dealer and they told me it needed a new transmission and PTU. I then took it to aamco transmission for a second opinion and they told me it needed new spark plugs. They wanted to charge $474. to change the plugs so I did that myself. The plugs I took out looked fine and new plugs did not help the jerking. I hate to buy another transmission and go through the hassle on changing it if I can possibly salvage this one. Any help on a possible cure would be appreciated.

2. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

Those Ford fwd transmissions used to be problematic. I'm sure they may have been redesigned over the years.

Just for giggles...you may try a bottle of Lucas Transmission Fix in it. I'm usually not one for "snake oils", but I put some in our old 2007 Mazda trans when it was acting up a bit and it cured it.

76 camaro car 1 likes this.
  3. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Did the dealer reflash/reprogram it? Ford the last number of years has been pretty finicky with programming - if you replace the trans either used or new you will need to take it in to be flashed as well.

4. 76 camaro car 1

I will give the Lucas a try. It can't hurt it.

5. 76 camaro car 1

I really doubt they did. Really not sure they even looked at it. My son worked at the dealership as a car porter but quit to go to the police academy. We took the car there after he quit. They were supposed to do a couple recalls on the car while they had it but did not do them. They did not charge us for their diagnosis.

6. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Scan it and watch the data. Could be as simple as a ripped intake boot opening up when the engine torques over a little. Watch wheel speeds in ABS data, traction control could be kicking in if wheel speeds signals dropout from a bad sensor or bearing. It's nearly impossible to diagnose most drivability issues without a decent scan tool. PM me a phone number and I can go over some diagnostic with you if you want.

7. 76 camaro car 1

I have a Inova 31703 scan tool. It scans ABS and SRS. I will definitely check the wheel speed sensors with it. I replaced the plenum gasket when I changed the rear plugs. I had to pull it off to get to them. Will pm you my number. It might be easier to text me as I work 2 jobs and am hard to get a hold of. Thanks for the help.

8. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

No problem. I work a few jobs myself, so texting is fine.