2021 Hot Rod Power Tour

Discussion in 'Camaro Event Schedules & Locations' started by Sunny Z/28, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Vsolo

Vsolo Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've been on 4 Full HRPT's

Suggestion, make the first stop a 2-day trip, 300 miles a day. (if you have the time off) It's a fun trip no need to wear yourself out. I know people that have to do the 12-hour drive to get home after the HRPT.

The official map does not come out till about a month before the trip. They check the routes out and drive them to make sure they can handle all the cars and to make sure
    there won't be any real traffic tie-ups from construction.

I can't make it this year because I had another event planned for that week in August :(

If you are going, make your reservations early & DO NOT Go through 3rd party hotel sites, like Travelocity or Hotel.com, etc

Sign up with the Hotel Offical website for every place you are going to stay. I'm signed up with IHG (Holiday Inn), Marriott & Hilton that is where we stay, you will have it in the app.

if you stay at a Choice Hotel or Best Western or even Motel 6 Etc, you will have it in the app.

The reason is if the hotel gets overbooked they will not honor the 3rd party hotel reservations first. If you are not a member of the hotel group and you can't find your reservation you are out of luck.

Another thing to do is get a 3 ring binder, divide it up into the 5 or 7 days, putting a printed-out reservation for each day. By day 4 of a 7-day trip, you will have no idea where you are :)

Along with each reservation look up something interesting to see in that town on the route between cities. and print it out too and put it with the hotel reservation

Mark the top of each page with the Number of the day and WEEKDAY as well as what day it is on the HRPT example: August 12 Wednesday Day 3 By day 4 of a 7-day trip, you will have no idea where you are :)

It does make a good souvineer of your trip too

Also if you walk into the hotel that you have an account (Holiday Inn/IHG) with and you have a reservation and they say we don't have one, you whip out your reservation and show them your reservation and they will look at it and say "your Reservation is at the other Holiday Inn across town :) Been there done that LOL

Hope this helps

68LS1 and Sunny Z/28 like this.
  2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

^ Those are really good tips to make this type of rolling vacation enjoyable (and eliminate hotel issues).

I've driven my car to the Camaro Nationals (1100 miles each way) and that trip was torture in a 2nd gen Camaro with factory seats.

3. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

The US AirForce Museum is the best (and about only) major attraction in Dayton, but to do it justice would take at least a whole day and probably two. Second would be Carillon Park which is close by the fairgrounds. They have a working 19th century brewery and many early twentieth century exhibits. Many microbreweries close by too. I personally recommend Lucky Star in Miamisburg (shameless plug).

4. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Looking at the first two days the Power Tour and Drag Week don't match up? Two different events? Dayton might be something I could get to, if the tour actually winds up going through there.

5. chuck13

chuck13 Member

Huh.Schedule is right in the middle of our wedding anniversary.Good 36th year present for the wife??

tom3 likes this.
  6. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Drag week and power tour are different events

tom3 likes this.
  7. scrap--metal

scrap--metal Veteran Member

It wasn't that bad... You're just getting old ;)

Sunny Z/28 likes this.
  8. Sunny Z/28

Sunny Z/28 Member Gold Member

Great info!

I'm hyper organized, will take all these tips into account.

I haven't booked hotels yet but will soon, sounds like a good trick is to drive a little further down the route after each event. You get to sleep in a bit and also save some money.

Keep em comin!

9. Sunny Z/28

I'm very familiar with Dayton, I married a Flyer! AF Museum is amazing. Thanks for the tips.

10. Sunny Z/28

If I booked this for our anniversary it would be our last :roadkill:

Wife doesn't get my old car thing haha