2021 Hot Rod Power Tour

Discussion in 'Camaro Event Schedules & Locations' started by Sunny Z/28, Mar 31, 2021.

1. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

Get on the hotel rooms now. Just make sure you can cancel if you change your mind. But the longer you wait the more rooms will fill, and prices will go up.

Looks like we are going now. Wife had me move the OBX vacation to June (when PT normally is) and book hotels for August. Now to figure out which car we are taking

2. djorgensen3

djorgensen3 Veteran Member

Fam and I will be in the OBX in June as well. We'll end up renting a jeep so we can drive on the beaches.

I would love to go on a Power Tour or a Drag week of some kind at least once. I doubt I would participate in any way other than spectating but it would be fun to watch.

3. 73Z L92

73Z L92 Veteran Member

In regards to the hotel rooms on the Power Tour what happens is that prior to announcing the route to the public the event organizer books most of the local hotel rooms and then resells at a higher price than normal. They can only be booked thru the organizers company at least that's what has happened in the past. Having said that company that I used to work for had two hotel chains that we booked at, HI and Hilton so we that traveled a lot for work had top tier standings at both. I can't tell you the number of times I called a hotel and after they said they were booked and after I gave them my card number suddenly they had a room available at normal room rate. We typically book rooms 20-30 miles out in the direction of the next days travel route. Two reasons, one less expensive and the diners are not so packed.
    Having said the above my wife and I have done the Power Tour a number of times. Long hauler and and just a few days. It's a great time. Most roads traveled between sites are back roads thru small towns. At one small town in WI they had a burn out box set up in the middle of the town right on main street. Cops were standing right by cheering us on.
    Another tip. Watch your fuel gauge. We pulled in a gas station on the route and they were out of premium gas!
    Another tip make sure your cooling system is up to snuff. Traffic jams entering the venues can be brutal.

4. flht99b

flht99b Veteran Member

Youngest son and will be doing the long haul for the 3rd time, 2018, 2019 and now 2021. As I left the 2nd gen faturnity in February this year, we will be traveling in my recently acquired 1997 SS SLP Camaro. At least 1 day I'll be wearing my NastyZ28 T shirt though. I'm surprised we still haven't been able to register yet but IMG_20210407_142159271_HDR.jpg IMG_20210407_142143636_HDR.jpg made all my hotel reservations nearly a month ago. See you there.

Zstar likes this.
  5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Sounds like it could be fun....but 1300 miles in a 50 year old car sounds like more than an adventure and deep in the pocket for gas and expenses lol.

6. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

registration opened yesterday BTW

7. flht99b

flht99b Veteran Member

Did the 2019 HRPT in at the time a 48 yr old car. Averaged a little over 17mpg during the 1987 mile roundtrip. Biggest issue was comfort with no a/c. Farthest we went each day was approximately 250 miles between venues. Registered Thursday evening. We're all set except some maintenance and repairs on the '97 SS.

8. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I booked the long haul, my son and me.

camarochevy1970 likes this.
  9. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

And... I'm out. Both me and school districts are idiots. They moved school start up a week to 8/23. Never in our 16 years here has school started more than one week before Labor Day. Heck, until 2016, it was the day after Labor Day. But this year, the jack wagons moved it up to two weeks before. I just happened to check the school calendar on a whim, looking at winter break dates, and noticed.
    I guess I might have to eat the long haul ticket I bought. I've emailed them to see.