2021 NASCAR Schedule - New Tracks and More Road Courses and a Dirt Track

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by The Champ, Sep 30, 2020.

1. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

So what are they doing to the cars to make them run on dirt? Slicks and ultra low profiles, minimum suspension probably won’t bode well. Add in the skill to twist a car sideways into and out of every turn and mascara nascar won’t last 20 laps.

2. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Goodyear will have to come up with an appropriate dirt tire for NASCAR. They have plenty of experience producing dirt track tires for dirt track racing in North America. I know that Cedar Lake Speedway outside of New Richmond, WI was running NASCAR sanctioned dirt cars back about 10-12 years ago that required Goodyear tires vs American Racer or Hoosier tires like the USRA and Wissota sanctioning bodies. We stopped running at Cedar Lake because we didn't want the investment of two different brands of tires (we typically brought 10 mounted Hoosier tires to every race - back then that was a $2,000 investment in tires, not to mention the cost of the 10 rims).

http://www.racegoodyear.com/tires/pdf/Dirt_web_ver2_2012.pdf

As to suspension, it will also need to be a dirt specific chassis to maximize handling and grip on the dirt as shown below by my buddy Jimmy Mars...

[​IMG]

3. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

So after nascar has spent millions on making their pretty and perfect (identical) cars they want to re engineer a car for 1 race? Seems like a good way to pee away a ton of money. Not that I care what others do with their money mind you, just an observation is all.
    Is it a last ditch effort to revive interest in samecar racing? When really all they had to do was Get rid of some of the stupid rules. Make the cars look like their street counterparts. Sheetmetal included. Maybe shorten the races a little, like half. Love racing, but 3 hours of the same cars making the same left turn over and over and over.......yes we know the cars are able to run 4-500 miles nearly wot - that is if they don’t wreck out.
    My thought is make all the races a sprint to the finish. Not a paced endurance run. So shorten the races to 100 laps, make the points count for something, so only the top 30 cars throughout the year make the “championship”. Championship race could be like Daytona 500 or something. Win or go home.
    The dirt is an interesting thought, Maybe it would spark more interest in the local dirt tracks but otherwise I’d rather watch the sprint cars, modifieds, and the locals having fun with hobbystocks/streetstock class.

4. flht99b

flht99b Veteran Member Gold Member

Regarding the term "samecar". Top tier auto racing in the US is IndyCar, Nascar and NHRA (TF, FC & PS). All three compete for fans, TV time and most importantly, sponsorship. What we've seen first in IndyCar and soon in Nascar is a business model that is more cost effective for a larger number of teams, aimed at improving and possibly extending the series. Yes, Aero plays a big part in the equation in keeping each manufacturer on a level playing field. IndyCar exclusively uses Dallara tubs and identical body/aero kits. The next gen Nascar car will all have Dallara chassis and composite body's like what the Xfinity series does today. In fact the next generation of Nascar cars will be very similar to certain classes of cars currently running in the Imsa series. As IndyCar learned awhile ago, a business model that works for the majority of teams is job 1 for the health of the series.

5. SupplySgt

SupplySgt Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Road America is way up on my bucket list, as is Mid Ohio. I'm 5 hours from COTA and really don't have any desire to go there like I do some of the legendary tracks scattered around. I'm hoping when I can make a Road America trip, I can drop in for a Friday night at Rockford. Rockford, Berlin, Elko, most of the short tracks that are on my bucket list are in the midwest. New Smyrna is the only one in the SE, then there's Langely and Stafford heading up the coast that I want to go see.