2022 Cost to Rebuild Engine Vs Crate Motor Vs LS Swap

sandiego74

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 23, 2009
San Diego, CA
It’s been a while since I’ve posted anything on here. In fact, the last thread I had going was very similar, but life took over (baby) and so I had to put it off. Now I’m getting the itch again after having saved up some money. My coworker has a 400 from a truck sitting in his backyard he’d be willing to sell. He also has a 327, and I’m tempted to build a 8000+ rpm motor out of it.

Last time, I had my mind set on just going with a Blueprint 400 sec and calling it good. Now, in late 2022, they seem to cost a couple thousand more than they did a few years ago. This also makes me believe machining costs have gone way up, so finding my own 400 and building it myself, like I want to do, will be just as, if not more expensive. Both of these factors make the higher cost of doing a complete LS3 swap seem not so high any more.

Anyone have any sage advice? Take these points into consideration (I want, at least, 2 out of the 3):

1.) I’ve never built and engine, and I REALLY want to take this opportunity to make that happen.
2.) I’m saving up to buy a home… in 2022… in California, so budget-friendly is a huge factor.
3.) I want to reliably make 450-550 hp, capable of 7000 rpm, and plan to use it mostly for autocross, but still want streetability.

Last edited:

sandlapper

Veteran Member
Oct 9, 2020
SE CSA
Kalifornia --- depending on model year; if you tag it for street it Must meet a bevy of emissions standards.
Perhaps your baby is exempt from such constraints? Dunno? If it were mine I'd verify such considerations; Before i spent a dime on anything.
While I typically applaud those who choose to DIY rather than crate ----
---perhaps you might continue saving for one of GM's powerful "Connect & Cruise" offerings?
I have no direct experience w/ C&C or Kali emissions; but understand many Kali subjugates choose C&C in order to meet/exceed/satisfy Kali emissions.

sandiego74

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 23, 2009
San Diego, CA
Kalifornia --- depending on model year; if you tag it for street it Must meet a bevy of emissions standards.
Perhaps your baby is exempt from such constraints? Dunno? If it were mine I'd verify such considerations; Before i spent a dime on anything.
While I typically applaud those who choose to DIY rather than crate ----
---perhaps you might continue saving for one of GM's powerful "Connect & Cruise" offerings?
I have no direct experience w/ C&C or Kali emissions; but understand many Kali subjugates choose C&C in order to meet/exceed/satisfy Kali emissions.

Thankfully, mine’s a ‘74, which is exempt from SMOG and emissions standards. So, the possibilities are endless.

sandiego74

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 23, 2009
San Diego, CA

Destroking a 400 is what really has me enticed, honestly. I heard the 400/406 is better to build than a 377, but a 329 sounds unique and fun.

I’d really rather not do the LS. I want to keep this car carbed and leaf-sprung. It’s fun competing well with or besting the big-budget CAM cars.

73Z L92

Veteran Member
Jan 25, 2011
Carlos, MN
So I'm a LS guy.
LS route. 6.0 stroked to 408 cubes. Forged rods and pistons. LS3 heads. Mid size cam and you are there. You can go carbed or EFI.
SBC route. Aftermarket block. Stroke to 396 cubes. Forged crank, rods and pistons. Good heads like AFR. Mid sized roller cam and you are there. Same as LS carbed or EFI.
I'm a big cubes for more torque guy.

sandiego74

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 23, 2009
San Diego, CA
Anyone know why Blueprint has this 400 with 6” rods listed as a 400? Wouldn’t the 6” rods mean it’s stroke is less than a normal 400 crank would be?

It’s also $2K more expensive than their normal 400.

Latest posts