2022 Cost to Rebuild Engine Vs Crate Motor Vs LS Swap

sandiego74

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 23, 2009
San Diego, CA
I looked into getting the machining done down in Tijuana, and the guys said you’re really only saving a couple hundred bucks to get it done right, so it’s not really worth the hassle.

sandlapper

Veteran Member
Oct 9, 2020
SE CSA
spintron etc. I used to get rear gear, trans & parts from a North Carolina gent named Tony Hancock. He also worked at the since-defunct Tex racing (tex tranny) ... tony had a small shop but had a "dyno" for trans and diffs. Really it was a rudimentary spintron --- it spun the trans or diff and measured how much watts/Horsepower it required. He could work some magic on friction reduction. His customers were primarily circle track (not much drag race).

Rustbucket350

Veteran Member
Sep 4, 2013
Oviedo, Florida
Machine work or not, roller or not, if you do a solid lifter cam in the appropriate range (as in not conservative but not like .700 lift) you'll get to your goal with heads that can flow well. Plenty of people have made 400 horse 350s with 882s and conservative cams with basic effort. Hell, you might even do it with a hydraulic lifter. Doesn't seem like a good idea with a hydraulic lifter though.

G72Zed

Veteran Member
Sep 8, 2015
Canada
Machine work or not, roller or not, if you do a solid lifter cam in the appropriate range (as in not conservative but not like .700 lift) you'll get to your goal with heads that can flow well. Plenty of people have made 400 horse 350s with 882s and conservative cams with basic effort. Hell, you might even do it with a hydraulic lifter. Doesn't seem like a good idea with a hydraulic lifter though.

Agree ^^^^ I'm making 400+hp and 440tq with a basic GM 350, 9:1, mild hyd cam, 222 @ .050 .435 lift with stock Iron Vortec 1.94 valves and a dual plane/650 Holley combo.

No issues up to 6k all the time. Change cam and springs (hyd), add in 25-30hp and 500+ rpm. Have done this a dozen times this year.

Easy these days, but the prices are going up again !!!