2022 Cost to Rebuild Engine Vs Crate Motor Vs LS Swap

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
Nice to have the longer rods, but damn...not for 2000 more bucks. I bet is the same stroke, just the pistons have the wrist pin bore shoved up half an inch higher.

muscl car

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 8, 2001
Gallatin Tennessee
You're looking at between $1k to $1500 in machine shop labor to do the necessary Machining on the cyl block and cyl heads . These are necessary before assembling a new engine

Also alot of 400 sbc blocks have core shift issues and due to their popularity the cylinder bores are at or near maximum safe over bore

I would definitely recommend going the crate engine route

This is an awesome price for a performance built 495 hp sbc . You can even also have it built to however you want . The best thing is if you want to have the engine refreshed let's say after a year or so of hard auto X racing they will rebuild it for $3500

sandlapper

Veteran Member
Oct 9, 2020
SE CSA
Anyone know why Blueprint has this 400 with 6” rods listed as a 400? Wouldn’t the 6” rods mean it’s stroke is less than a normal 400 crank would be?
No --- when longer rods are used, a shorter piston is used (shorter "compression height/distance") --- CD is measured from crown to wrist pin centerline.
FWIW, an OE 400 had unique shorter rods (5.565" versus 5.7") with a piston that had a typical 350 piston CD (about 1.560"). Dunno why GM did that instead of longer rod (even a 350 rod) but with a shorter piston CD. ??? Rarely do anyone build w/ those short 5.565 rods.

BTW --- a long rod-short piston is almost always lighter than short rod-tall piston --- light is good --- easier to balance --- uses less horsepower to accelerate the assembly ---- more responsive; both accel & decel.

Last edited:

sandiego74

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 23, 2009
San Diego, CA
You're looking at between $1k to $1500 in machine shop labor to do the necessary Machining on the cyl block and cyl heads . These are necessary before assembling a new engine

Also alot of 400 sbc blocks have core shift issues and due to their popularity the cylinder bores are at or near maximum safe over bore

I would definitely recommend going the crate engine route

This is an awesome price for a performance built 495 hp sbc . You can even also have it built to however you want . The best thing is if you want to have the engine refreshed let's say after a year or so of hard auto X racing they will rebuild it for $3500

I’ll look into these guys. I think the crate motor is going to be the most economical thing to do, especially considering warranty. BUT, shipping will be a factor, too.

So about $1500 to machine a block sounds about right?

muscl car

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 8, 2001
Gallatin Tennessee
I’ll look into these guys. I think the crate motor is going to be the most economical thing to do, especially considering warranty. BUT, shipping will be a factor, too.

So about $1500 to machine a block sounds about right?

I had Shafiroff racing engines build my 427sbc and they charged me $200 to ship via truck freight from Long Island New York to the Socal HighDesert . If the engine is to be installed by a shop they will ship free of charge

Yes that's the average price for machine work

sandiego74

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 23, 2009
San Diego, CA
I had Shafiroff racing engines build my 427sbc and they charged me $200 to ship via truck freight from Long Island New York to the Socal HighDesert . If the engine is to be installed by a shop they will ship free of charge

Yes that's the average price for machine work
How do you like that 427 sbc? I’d love to have one, but, man, they are pricey.

muscl car

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 8, 2001
Gallatin Tennessee
How do you like that 427 sbc? I’d love to have one, but, man, they are pricey.

That 427sbc runs awesome , it's hard to keep the rear tires from going up in tire smoke so easily . I had Shafiroff build me the short block only which was their " Real Street" series . It listed for $5900 but after all the upgrades they listed I ended up paying $9800

Here's the 565hp 427sbc Real Street short block

Pic of it ready to drop into the Camaro 2 yrs ago

20200413_172220.jpg

Has a nice exh note from the 10.5:1 compression and Comp Cams Hyd Roller 243 /251 @.050 .595/ .598 lift

Last edited:

sandiego74

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 23, 2009
San Diego, CA
Maybe I should just change this to a simple question: Can I build a 450-500 hp 400 for significantly cheaper than Blueprint’s 400 crate motor? They want about $6200.

I figure about $2000 for the machine shop work, and another $2000-3000 for heads and valvetrain.