2022 Cost to Rebuild Engine Vs Crate Motor Vs LS Swap

1980RS

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2006
MN
As with everything quality machine shop prices have gone up. Prices from Holbrook Racing Engines outside Detroit.

Bore & Hone up to .030″ oversize $500.00
Bore & Hone up to .080″ oversize $700.00
Bore & Hone over .080″ oversize $800.00
Bore & Hone over .100″ oversize $875.00
With Torque plates – add $250.00
Touch hone ONLY $250.00
Touch hone ONLY w/Plates $350.00
Hone to specified size $400.00
Install Sleeve (includes sleeve) $275.00
Deck Block, Clean up only $225.00
Deck Block, Parallel Cut $250.00
Measure & Check main bearing bore alignment $80.00
Align hone main bearing bores – 2 bolts $300.00
Align hone main bearing bores – 4 bolt / cr. bolt $350.00
Align hone main bearing bores – studs or girdle $400.00
Cut block deck for receiver grooves, V8 $300.00
Magnaflux Block $150.00
Sonic Check Block $275.00
Weld caps to restore register $150.00
Install Cam bearings & plugs (plus parts) $80.00
Three angle valve job is $450.00 a pair
Wow! and I have several people bitching about my price on one of the 468 BBC's $4500 I had for sale as a complete engine carb to pan.

langss

Jan 18, 2008
West Hills California
Ok.... I'm going to say what you really don't want to hear, and it was already said by someone else..... BUY THE HOUSE.....Believe me when I say its not going to get better here....Interest rates are going up and you have a family to provide for....Buying a house is a whole lot more expensive than just the cost of the house itself.... Once its yours...there is/are unlimited things that cost money. And then the unexpected happens....In my case less than a month after I bought the house I currently own, my daily driver was totaled...Now I had to scramble to get something else to pound back and forth....No this kind of thing doesn't happen to everybody, but having the money to cover the unexpected is a very nice way to continue on down the highway... Buy/Build/whatever you choose after your safely in the house and you can afford it.

sandiego74

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 23, 2009
San Diego, CA
Ok.... I'm going to say what you really don't want to hear, and it was already said by someone else..... BUY THE HOUSE.....Believe me when I say its not going to get better here....Interest rates are going up and you have a family to provide for....Buying a house is a whole lot more expensive than just the cost of the house itself.... Once its yours...there is/are unlimited things that cost money. And then the unexpected happens....In my case less than a month after I bought the house I currently own, my daily driver was totaled...Now I had to scramble to get something else to pound back and forth....No this kind of thing doesn't happen to everybody, but having the money to cover the unexpected is a very nice way to continue on down the highway... Buy/Build/whatever you choose after your safely in the house and you can afford it.
This is exactly the advice that I NEEDED to hear. Thank you!

G72Zed

Veteran Member
Sep 8, 2015
Canada
Wow! and I have several people bitching about my price on one of the 468 BBC's $4500 I had for sale as a complete engine carb to pan.

I hear ya on that !!!

Many don’t realize what it costs to do a full complete engine from scratch with high quality machining and parts.

Your engine is a deal!! Most lack the capacity to truly comprehend the true cost.

Then again, there the same ones who want a show quality base clear candy pearl paint job that’s wet sanded and buffed for 2k lol.

xten

Veteran Member
Sep 24, 2014
Pittsburgh, Pa.
I'm also in the "home" camp. Expect the unexpected. Friend's son on a 150K budget and preapproval had to have a house listed at 174K. They offered asking. Bidding war. Paid 210K for a house listed for 174K on a 150K budget. Day they moved in tranny went on their Ford Edge. Couldn't afford to fix it, daddy had to step in, even though he was against the whole "living beyond your means" deal. Not saying these things will happen, but they really do. Sounds like you're having fun with your car now, but want more. Personally I will spend on "needs" before "wants" because of the way things are anymore. And it doesn't seem like interest rates are going to come down anytime soon.

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
Oh
I'm also in the "home" camp. Expect the unexpected. Friend's son on a 150K budget and preapproval had to have a house listed at 174K. They offered asking. Bidding war. Paid 210K for a house listed for 174K on a 150K budget. Day they moved in tranny went on their Ford Edge. Couldn't afford to fix it, daddy had to step in, even though he was against the whole "living beyond your means" deal. Not saying these things will happen, but they really do. Sounds like you're having fun with your car now, but want more. Personally I will spend on "needs" before "wants" because of the way things are anymore. And it doesn't seem like interest rates are going to come down anytime soon.
Oh no, I have an Edge...

Harry coyne

Mar 17, 2018
It’s been a while since I’ve posted anything on here. In fact, the last thread I had going was very similar, but life took over (baby) and so I had to put it off. Now I’m getting the itch again after having saved up some money. My coworker has a 400 from a truck sitting in his backyard he’d be willing to sell. He also has a 327, and I’m tempted to build a 8000+ rpm motor out of it.

Last time, I had my mind set on just going with a Blueprint 400 sec and calling it good. Now, in late 2022, they seem to cost a couple thousand more than they did a few years ago. This also makes me believe machining costs have gone way up, so finding my own 400 and building it myself, like I want to do, will be just as, if not more expensive. Both of these factors make the higher cost of doing a complete LS3 swap seem not so high any more.

Anyone have any sage advice? Take these points into consideration (I want, at least, 2 out of the 3):

1.) I’ve never built and engine, and I REALLY want to take this opportunity to make that happen.
2.) I’m saving up to buy a home… in 2022… in California, so budget-friendly is a huge factor.
3.) I want to reliably make 450-550 hp, capable of 7000 rpm, and plan to use it mostly for autocross, but still want streetability.
Try contacting Fortes Parts Connection in Massachusetts. Great honest guy. Will build you a custom engine for whatever your idea wants, Dino tested etc.

I’m ordering a Dart block and Dart heads on a SB Chevy and a tremec for under 13 grand I think. Of course it’s lower pricing for a regular block and good heads. Either way look him up on Google. I have gotten parts from him since 1982 and never a bad deal and will talk to you for hours about what you want and what his recommendations are. Tell him Lucky Coyne told you to call. He will answer any question and speaks motors as well as in English meaning he will explain plainly what everything means and what it will do

81zippenz

Aug 30, 2003
Lakewood, NJ USA
I will agree with the house camp 100%. I was ready to pull the trigger on a crate engine last year when I got laid off. Thankfully the equity I have in my house is available should I need it. I worked for a company that specialized in LS swap parts and it’s not a cheap endeavor. As was said before it’s not just the engine cost, it’s the harness, pcm, tuning/dyno, fuel system, mounts, radiator, fans if using newer motor, etc. It adds up real quick. On the plus side, LS is very reliable, long lasting and has readily available parts.

dundone

Mar 7, 2018
My 75 came with a mild 496bbc, I LS swapped myself to a junkyard 6.0LS with Advanced Induction 243 heads & BTR stage 3 LS1/2/6 cam . Car made 450 to the wheel and went 11.4 off the trailer with 3.73 gears and a TH350.. I think the bbc may have went faster but I never got a time on it before removing it .

LS swaps will get pricey If you do it correctly and don’t cut corners . I used a stand-alone Gm harness ($500) 80lb deka injectors ($400) and Bosch 044 external pump ($100)

Got the motor for ($400) replaced piston rings , rod bearings , rod bolts, lifters & trays , head gaskets , speed engineering headers , eBay plate mounts ($1000)

Cam kit $(800)
Heads ($1800)
Holley high ram intake ($800)
Warr performance tb ($150)
Tuning ($1000)
Front accessories & brackets $700
Oil pan stuff - $400

Plus about $500-1000 more for misc bolts, fuel line , fittings etc.

That 200k mile motor took about 3 years of beating until the thrust bearing seized up.. I should have replaced main bearings when I went in the motor but I’m no engine builder .. just took a shot at the “YouTube LS budget build.” After a year I added a procharger to it and 12 lbs of boost .. it lived for about 2 years like that . I’ve since let a machine shop rebuild and forged the motor . About $4k there parts & labor for short block assembly . Car now makes about 900wheel @15 psi From a F1a-94 procharger

The Ls swap gets expensive but once it was tuned I never had drivability issues out the car.. it would crank up in 20 degree weather the same as it would on a 80 degrees day .

If I had to swap in todays time .. I’d definitely use a gen4 6.0L or 6.2L .. Holley efi system.. internal twin walboro 450 pumps in tank .. and a T56 or 4L80e auto.

If you use the efi Holley or msd stuff with carb setup you’ll still need to get it tuned. It will run out of the Box but for performance you’ll need to have it tuned

Hope this helps

Attachments

• 0CB6A43F-81FC-445A-83CC-45D8A296F756.jpeg
    0CB6A43F-81FC-445A-83CC-45D8A296F756.jpeg
    240.8 KB · Views: 34
  • F3603DB8-A479-4196-BC27-E2ADF0493610.jpeg
    F3603DB8-A479-4196-BC27-E2ADF0493610.jpeg
    194 KB · Views: 32
  • 9643FFD1-0A9F-4FEF-803D-F20C9FEA7D25.jpeg
    9643FFD1-0A9F-4FEF-803D-F20C9FEA7D25.jpeg
    234.8 KB · Views: 31
  • D2EDCC27-C6C2-4B4E-8FB2-D34BE3647FE6.jpeg