24x sbc crank trigger conversions

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by John Wright, Apr 14, 2020.

1. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I searched but maybe missed the search criteria to find it.
    Is anyone still fooling around with 24x trigger wheels and cam sync equipment for sbc? I've been toying with the idea of using the eficonnection 24x timing set that incorporates a 24x crank trigger and pickup into the timing cover and has a dummy distributor to stab in the hole for a cam sync. MSD and others have a 4 tooth trigger, but I was looking for better resolution if I'm going through all of that trouble wiring up this megasquirt MS3 for coil per cylinder and sequential injection.
    Anyone here have any experiences they want to share?
    Link to eficonnection's product: https://www.eficonnection.com/home/...t-w-1x-cam-sync-distributor-for-early-engines

2. JMcDonough

JMcDonough New Member

I found some sequential w/ 24x discussion on the msextra forums during a recent search on sbc trigger setups:

https://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=40358

The most experience folks (Matt Cramer, James) recommended using a 60-2 or 36-1. The vortec distributor for cam sensing seems to be the consensus.

If things go to plan, I'll have some first hand experience with my MS2extra + batch fire and 8 coil wasted spark in a month or so. I've bench tested it, but haven't wired it up to the engine yet. Planning to use a 36-1 wheel and hall sensor on the crank.

3. John Wright

Are you adding the toothed wheel behind the balancer pulleys? I know DIYAuto has the 36 trigger wheel, but I was wondering about having to space all of my pulleys out the thickness of the trigger wheel to keep the serpentine belt happy. I currently have the MS3 setup for batch fire like the TPI had. I just swapped out the TPI intake for a Proflow XT and a 90mm throttle body. Hopefully the turbo will be happier with that 90mm throttle body than the 58mm TPI.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  4. John Wright

I've spent right much money here lately and wonder if the coil per plug is worth all of the extra money, at least right now. Looks like I could spend around 1k to get everything I wanted in that setup. Kinda spooked about how quickly the economy went south, I might need that money in my savings. Just exploring the options.

edit: Although, I have the waterpump off at the moment to weld on -20An fitting for the radiator hoses and now would be the time to mess with the timing set.....

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  5. John Wright

6. JMcDonough

JMcDonough New Member

I plan to sandwich the trigger wheel between the crank pulley and the damper, as shown in the msextra forum post above. Using the DIYAutotune 3 wire hall. Will make a custom bracket to mount the hall sensor and yes - shimming of the other accessories/pulleys will be required. I'm only running W/P, Alt, and power steering with 2 two v-belts so not too bad.

I'm taking the low-buck approach:
    $32 for the trigger wheel + $38 for the sensor + shipping + a couple hours of time to make the bracket and shim the spacers. I picked up the set of 8 D585 coils on ebay for ~$100. Plan to mount them on top of the valve covers. If I wanted to go sequential, new/reman vortec sbc distributors are $80-$170. $100 for a set of spark plug wires w/ ceramic boots from Summit.

Trigger wheels and sensors from DIYAutotune: https://www.diyautotune.com/shop/sensors-data-logging/trigger-wheels/

7. John Wright

I was thinking about shimming the pulleys....since my accessories all use the aluminum brackets that bolt to the front of the engine, I could add the shim between the brackets and the engine to maintain alignment of the belt, and behind the waterpump pulley. I may look into your route a little further.

8. rburrow87

rburrow87 Veteran Member

Very interested in seeing where this goes for you. I had a parts list all made up to go with one of EFI Connection's 24x kits and an 0411 PCM, but ended up getting a Pro-Flo 4 because I didn't think I wanted to do that much tuning. Pretty happy with the PF4 but sometimes I wish I could tweak some things more than they allow. Tempting to try it still since it should be doable with minimal parts swapping now that I have a MPFI intake/throttle body setup with GM sensors already.

Seems like the aluminum serpentine brackets should make shimming to compensate for a trigger wheel behind the crank pulley a snap. I think the only reason I was looking at EFI Connection's cover is because I liked the idea of the crank trigger being a common part that I could get at local auto parts stores.

John Wright likes this.
  9. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

10. John Wright

Summit has the Holley 58 tooth(60-2) 8.5" diameter crank trigger wheel for around $60. I didn't see where they listed the thickness but I'm assuming 1/8". The more I read, the more I think the better resolution, the better the accuracy of the timing. Maybe even less sync issues than the 24x.

What I'm not clear on is how to make the Vortec dizzy into simply a cam sync(blank cap).