2nd Gen Roadster

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Johnboy9914, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Johnboy9914

Johnboy9914 New Member

I know this is going to raise some eyebrows but has anyone on this board ever built a 2nd Gen roadster - more specifically 78 - 81 year models. I'd be interested in any information/pics that could be offered. I know the thought of cutting up a perfectly good camaro will make more than a few people cringe but what the heck, I have 6 of them and looking to do something different. My plan is to build something along the lines (in terms of looks) of the "Baldwin Motion" Camaro. I am going to install a LT1/4L60E and a good handling package. I'm really concerned about beefing up the stiffness of the car. I don't think that frame connectors will be enough. From the rear of the car I will frabricate a deck similar to that of the Pontiac Soltice. I will be covering the rear seat area all together. Like I said, any help would be appreciated and I look forward to your comments - good or bad.

2. laninme

laninme Member

Interesting concept. Can't picture it in my mind as to how I would react

3. BusDriver

BusDriver Veteran Member

If you cover the rear seat area I'd be afraid it'd make it look like the car had a huge @$$

4. Johnboy9914

Johnboy9914 New Member

Point taken. Fortunately, I have a parts car that is not repairable that I can cut on first to work out any issues and test the look. Thanks.

5. canadianzed

canadianzed Veteran Member

to each his own.....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  6. spav350

spav350 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I don't think so Tim...

7. BusDriver

BusDriver Veteran Member

The front looks stupid on that, but the rear's actually ok.

8. earlysecond

earlysecond Veteran Member

Recently, my mind must be opening. How can a Camaro be considered any more sacred than anything else. First, I must say that if I wanted a Roadster I would hand fab one it would have a tube frame etc. With that said, this guy has a surplus of Camaros, does the posted picture of the "Camaro Roadster" really any worse then a convertible? I agree that I do not like the front end on the one pictured but I like creativity. People do neat stuff. Here is the big big question. . .if not a Camaro then WHAT car is acceptable to radically customize. Secondly, is this type of mutilation that much different than a second gen with a big blower out the hood, my "custom" LED banana parking lights and on an on it goes.

I support the right of a person to do what they desire. I do not belive that any individual should be all that critical of someone else's vision for a project. This all started when I bought an R titled Acura sedan and wanted to change the color. . .I hate gold. To me gold is old! So I mixed up a custom white pearl (blue and silver ghost) ala new Nissans. I got called everything but HUMAN! haha. I like it and that is all that matters. Live and let live.

To the OP, while you likely will not get much support for your vision on this site, is there another site for folks who doe these types of customs? I would love to see what you come up with so PM me progress pics if there is too much flaming hatred on here!]

Brent

9. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois..... Far S.W. Subs, RT 66 Area

While I don't like that one, I would love the same craftsmanship with a standard front end.
    I've also been around southern Calif and dragstrips where they have taken some liberties over the last 30 years, with various cars.

Other than the front end & the rear tire placement, and a few small things, that would be an cool Sunday cruiser.

I was picturing something more like this,

[​IMG]

but a 2 seat street legal deal would be cool also. Like I mentioned for Sun. cruising, as long as you didn't leave it unattended.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  10. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois..... Far S.W. Subs, RT 66 Area

OOOOPPPPSSSSS,

I guess you can't post the individual cars, sorry guys.