2nd Gen Stereo Sub in the trunk

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by JD Z, Jan 10, 2018.

1. JD Z

JD Z Veteran Member

Looking to upgrade the stereo with a sub in the trunk. Trunks are pretty tight. What kind of an enclosure are folks using for a 12” sub? I have a 12” sub speaker already. Seems I’ll have to fabricate one myself.

2. NOLAZACK

NOLAZACK Veteran Member

Im going with a Solo-baric box (1 15inch)

[​IMG]

JD Z likes this.
  3. Jim Streib

Jim Streib https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums

You might be better off building one yourself as it will allow you to make it to fit closer against any contours on the floor or against other surfaces. It should also offer better ways to secure it into the vehicle with brackets and such VS a prefab box that is more of a universal fit.

I will say when designing the enclosure, have it to where all of the sound eminating off of the speaker and any port on it is forced into the interior of the car.

If you have a basic box just laying in the trunk, it fills the trunk with bass and then wants to make things like the trunk lid, trunk lid torsion bars, license plates, taillight bulb filaments, and so on, vibrate creating a lot of unwanted noise and also making one replace bulbs more often.

If you just lay a box in the trunk and then get inside the interior it's like having a home sub in a closet and then closing the door and listening to the sub in another room. Not the best way to do it.

Jim

4. NOLAZACK

NOLAZACK Veteran Member

My solo baric is inward driving...i.e. pointing towards the rear seats. And its best to dynamat the trunk to stop vibration. or limit it. These cars are all metal, there will be some rattling.

JD Z likes this.
  5. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member

I used a truck box and mounted it to the back side of the back seat. I even had just enough room to still put the jack in the correct mount.

Attached Files:

JD Z and NOLAZACK like this.
  6. JD Z

JD Z Veteran Member

Thanks guys. I fabricated one to fit in the trunk today. I’ll give it a try forward facing and rear facing. It will be facing up for the most part.

Appreciate the feedback and examples.

Attached Files:

NOLAZACK and Blown Camaro like this.
  7. Blown Camaro

Blown Camaro American by birth, drag racer by choice

How did you calculate your box cubic feet and port dimensions?

8. JD Z

JD Z Veteran Member

I had an example 1.75 CF in the shop. This is wider but shorter with the slant. I’m guessing 1.5 CF or more. I made the port 2” wide, compared to 1.5” on the example. No real science, only guesstimation.

The example is next to the box in my picture.

9. JD Z

JD Z Veteran Member

Nolazack, Jim Streib and PalmbchZ28, thanks for you insights into positioning the sub. Research was suggesting positioned to the rear, when my first thought was toward the seats. PalmbchZ28, it looks like yours is facing up, but next to the seats.

NOLAZACK likes this.
  10. NOLAZACK

NOLAZACK Veteran Member

Give a sound report once its all hooked up. Are you running mono? How many watts and what kind of amp?

Im running an Orion 500w mono with external California crossover for lows. Got 2 4 way 6x9's in the rear deck and going with 5.25 inch components in kicker panel or doors..havent decided.