3.73 Posi Gear pattern help

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by ghostrider78Z, Sep 27, 2016.

1. ghostrider78Z

ghostrider78Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have a 3.73 posi and am trying to get the gear pattern right. Need a little help please.

These pics are just rotating through the gear while spinning the input shaft to see the pattern:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are the pics of the the same shim setup but I am applying drag to input with a shop rag and still rotating through while spinning the input shaft.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Question is do I need to move shims? from left to right? Or am I close enough and leave it alone?
    Any help is appreciated!!!

2. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

First advice, toss the blue stuff in the trash and get some gear marking compound. You can't read the pattern with that blue stuff.

Second, when you have the gear marking compound, use an axle to turn everything when checking the pattern. It will make the pattern easier to read.

Third, only mark 3 teeth next to each other. You need the other teeth clean so that the pinion can clean it's self as you turn it.

Johnny Blaze likes this.
  3. ghostrider78Z

Waiting for the yellow stuff......the blue is all I could get at the time, and the blue stuff IS gear marking compound (Prussian Blue), but I agree, it is not very readable. Waiting for my new axles, so unable to turn everything with axle. Just trying to get an idea of the direction I need to go with gear pattern.....I guess I will wait till I get the yellow stuff and my axles which may be a few weeks.

4. big gear head

You will see a big difference when you use the yellow marking compound. The pattern will be easy to see. I can't see any pattern at all with the blue stuff. It just doesn't work well.

Johnny Blaze likes this.
  5. ghostrider78Z

I agree the blue sucks!!! Waiting for yellow paint to show up and also my Moser axles!! I bought extra yellow paint to make sure I nor any friend I know ever have this problem!!! Hahaha

6. ghostrider78Z

Okay I finally have some yellow paint on these gears and need help on shim placement. Any words of wisdom here?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. big gear head

Looks to me like it doesn't have any pinion shims in it. How much shim is on the pinion right now? Looks like it needs a bunch added to it.

8. kyles_81Z28

kyles_81Z28 Member

Your pinion depth is to shallow. Throw see shims in there and recheck.

9. tlcronk

tlcronk Member

What do you have for backlash of the ring gear?

10. ghostrider78Z

Thanks guys......I tore it back apart and started over. I will post pics when I get it reassembled with more shims. I had a friend set it up for me originally and now that it is apart I see there is not enough shims on the pinion. I will let you all know. Thanks again!!