3 core aluminum radiators?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by mrluckies, Jul 23, 2020.

1. mrluckies

mrluckies Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I’ve got a copper radiator in my 70 with a mild 454. It doesn’t overheat, but when it’s hot out it does get hot. Since I put the fan shroud on (mechanical clutch fan - I don’t want electric fans), it now is cooler at idle, but when driving on the highway it runs about 10 deg hotter (about 200-210 deg). It doesn’t seem to creep after 20 min and cools down at idle. I assume it has less airflow with the fan shroud installed for the highway. It used to stay lower on the highway and heat up, but not creep at idle, like in traffic.

I’ve been searching the radiator threads here:

https://nastyz28.com/threads/budget-aluminum-radiator-guide-and-taurus-fan-mounting.131059/page-7

https://nastyz28.com/threads/ebay-aluminum-radiator-review.198429/page-2

https://nastyz28.com/threads/radiator-nirvana.159522/

I decided to buy the 433168 from advanced auto as I thought the eBay radiators would be too expensive. It should arrive next week. But then I read some other reviews and people said the 433168 is mediocre and not up to higher hp engines. I plan to upgrade my engine in a few years and was thinking maybe the eBay radiators are better.

there’s a bunch that are only a little more expensive and say they are “3 core”.

Does anyone know if the 3 core aluminum radiators will cool about 600 hp? Right now I cruise on the interstate at 3000 rpm and eventually also plan on putting ac back in.

I might just return the advance auto radiator when it comes in and buy the eBay one for $145.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273282506132

I can’t swing $500 or more for a griffin or be cool.

I’m curious if the 3 core will cool better than the 433168 which is a single core? I think they at both single pass. I’m wondering if the 3 core is too packed and won’t have enough airflow? The one review thread above is for a two core radiator which I can’t find.

also, does anyone know if I can use the factory rubber isolators and radiator bracket to hold it in the car? It’s got welded square tanks instead if the crimped plastic tanks that have a lip that the isolators normally go around.

appreciate any insight.

thx!

2. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

How many blades does your fan have? Is it a thermal fan clutch or non thermal? Standard or heavy duty?

If it's just a 6 blade fan...look for a 7 blade. They will pull more air.

3. mrluckies

Thx. I have the 7 blade and the super heavy duty thermal fan clutch. I had the original heavy duty one and then upgraded to the higher one because it comes on 10 deg sooner.

my question is related to cooling capacity. Does anyone have experience with a 3 row single pass aluminum radiator? Does it have considerably more cooling capacity than the 1 row single pass? I know technically it should, but I’m wondering if it’s packed too tight will the airflow get around it?

right now, I know my copper radiator is at the limit of cooling the engine on really hot days (and I don’t have ac installed yet). It doesn’t creep, but on hot days (90-100 deg) it runs hotter than on Cooler days (80 and below). That means the radiator is not cooling enough.

I have a 180 thermostat in the car and it usually runs about 190 per my gauge. On really hot days it’s about 200.

I already ordered the 433168 radiator and may try it anyway instead of returning. From what I read, it should be better than my copper, but probably also at its limit. So, I was thinking of returning and buying a 3 row aluminum in hopes it will cool even more.

My engine is mild and probably only around 400 hp, but plan to go to about 600 hp in a few years, plus ac.

4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Happy with my mishimoto 3 row.

But i ran the replacement spectra aluminum with plastic tanks rad for years with zero issues. I replaced it at 10 years due to age when i did my new engine.

5. mrluckies

Bonzohansen,

thx. About how much hp were you running with the single row? And did you have electric fans or mechanical fan?

6. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

7. mrluckies

Thx for the reading. The new core support and radiator are out of my price range.

the be cool is actually more reasonable than I thought! One thing though, is the summit article rates them only for 350 hp? That’s got to be a mistype.

also the one of the reviews on the one with out the trans cooler were mediocre the guy said it leaked after two years. I know that can happen on any part, even factory original.

8. Camaro Tim01

Camaro Tim01 Veteran Member

Running a separate tranny cooler will help.... but back in the day we never heard of 3 core.... it was a 4 core rad we went with, other thing we'd do is run a lower thermostat 180 instead of 195 so it took longer to heat up... also ANY space around the rad we would close up to force all the air through the rad

I just came across this
    scroll down and read, they have any type you want
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-77-78...BBEV2bDemotion&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  9. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

With the spectra (which was a 2 row) one about 275, with the mishimoto about 450. 4th gen electric fans.

10. 1320feet

1320feet Member

Running down the road at cursing speed (lets say 60mph) uses only a portion of your engines total output. Lets say it takes 80hp to maintain that 60mph. So total output (450hp or 650hp) doesn't mater. Your still making the same amount of heat to maintain that 80hp either way.