327 build...what to do?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by TommyShameless, Oct 5, 2016.

1. thrasher

thrasher Veteran Member

Kind of a tuff one for me to answer in a fairly short manner. But here it is in a nutshell. Using that 327 I can only see lower compression pistons and a lot smaller cam to meet your stated goals.
    The 327 has the right pistons for that cam and smaller combustion chamber heads. Generally if the cranking compression is about 200 or under it is doable.

You said you wanted a lot of strong street torque and you won't be tracking it.

The problem is the current cam in your 327 Will Not give usable street torque with that cam nor will it like a gear under 4.11 (4.30-4.56 would be better) and a manual trans in that car. This is CLEARLY AGAINST what your stated goals are.

Cams that work decent in a torky street friendly 327 are basically going to be RV and large RV grinds. One example is going to be a hydraulic flat tappet
    CompCams 268 Seat Duration, 218 Duration @.050, 454 Valve Lift, 110 LSA. Even with the cam being that small a 327 will prefer a 3.50-3.70 gear. With a 3.08 gear I'd prefer dropping the cam down a step to something like 260-266 Seat Duration, 210-212 Duration @.050.
    There are a lot of past 327 builds over at camaros.net that you can look at. Just google the two and you will see plenty.

2. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

You are subjecting yourself to opinions so, here is mine.
    Figure out exactly what pistons you have and then run the math (or cheat by asking fatkid like, I do! The guy ought to charge for that kind of wizardry!) and see if a large chamber head will bring your CR down to where you can run pump gas. 76cc heads are everywhere and they're cheap! Whoever built it wanted a strip machine but, you can play with the ratios and valve lift quite a bit to achieve a great street bruiser at least, I would think. ASK FATKID! He will know for sure!
    Now, here's something I DO KNOW: 305's are total smog block junk! and switching to a good old 327 will not only raise your CID a bit but, it will give you much more mechanical piece of mind and WAY MORE BRAGGIN' RIGHTS!:) I know. Here comes those opinions again. But, there are many many people who agree with me on the 305 issue or should I say, issues. I ain't the only guy who hates them and 302s and 307s, as well! Also, stop worrying about 7000 RPM. If its built like you're talkin', its probably all balanced to the gnats ass and the 327 is a revy little sucker, anyway. My 327 (now ya know!) still has a stock bottom end. Balanced rods and flat top pistons with zero deck. Old camel hump (for now) heads shaved .020 and steel shim gaskets. Runs great on pump gas and I take it to 7000 RPM all the time. Been running it as a street engine in many different cars for years with no problems!
    BTW, If you want low end torque, loose the 3.08 gears! Yet another opinion: 3.73 is the best damn street gear ratio on the planet! If you do a lot on the freeway, get an overdrive tranny to let it walk tall. Best of both worlds! Besides, 3000 RPM at 70 MPH might be a bit uncomfortable for you and your gas money but, your 327 won't care at all! It will do it all day long, properly cooled.

3. green 1977

green 1977 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I built a 327 for my 77, and I really like it
    vortec heads, comp cams 268h cam, it really comes alive above 3000 rpm's

4. TommyShameless

TommyShameless New Member

This is all great stuff!

brooksman9 likes this.
  5. MagicRatt

MagicRatt Veteran Member

Those 327's are great little small blocks!! I had one in my 68 el camino way back in the mid-80's, had a 4 speed and 3.55's in the rear. Lots of power, just wish I had the chance to get a time slip on her. I had a chance to drive a guys 70 ss nova back then. It had a high compression 331 with solid cam, tunnel ram intake with twin 660's, 4 speed trans and a set of 4.88's and man was that car a handful!!. I wish I would have bought that bad boy looking back now.......

Rich

6. old blue 75

old blue 75 Veteran Member

The pistons you have appear to be the same as the trws I used some years back.
    l2211a's (http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=163801)
    Your pistons from this add appear to have the same dome volume.(http://www.motors23.net/single-381746147338.html)
    Could be the same piston.
    On this build I machined as much off the dome as I could and still have the minimum dome thickness.
    With a 64 cc head we got down to about 10.3 -1.
    We also had a Isky. 292 cam, it was a 4 speed car and the cam was too big.
    The power range was too high.
    A 268 or 270 cam ground on a 108 or 110 lca should work well.
    And yes 3.73 gears would be a big help.(Even 3.42s would be better)

7. TommyShameless

Now, let's throw a wrinkle in here! Let's assume I go with the flattop pistons. Good aftermarket aluminum street heads, like Trick Flows. 62 or 64 cc chambers, so we have a compression ratio of about 9.5:1 / 10:1. But, instead of a flat tappet cam, I go with a retro fit hydraulic roller and roller rockers Do I want to go with a roller cam kit that has the same specs as the flat tappet suggestions, or does the fact that it is a roller allow or necessitate different numbers to achieve to same results?

8. thrasher

thrasher Veteran Member

OK, I have to stop right here and ask what should have been asked right from the start:
    I know you said the differential gear is a 3.08 but,
    What differential gear are you going to use?

If you're going with aftermarket heads on a mostly street driven 327 with 3.08-3.42 gears keep the intake port cc's in the 180 (at the most 185cc's) and smaller range. On the street a larger cc intake runner will kill off some low end throttle response/torque in the driveable rpm ranges and at cruising speeds with 3.08-3.42 gears. They can take a 190cc runner and make more power but there is a price to pay down low. You might be able to work around that with 3.73-4.11 gears but from the sounds of it that's not what you want.

Vortec heads are actually a very good choice for a lot of street driven 327's because of their known torque and power production using a smaller cc intake runner and somewhat small valve sizes. This keeps flow velocities up increasing throttle response and torque, which is exactly what smaller engines need. Yes, a 327 is still considered a smaller engine. You need a specific Vortec intake manifold with those heads though.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  9. fatkid_racing

fatkid_racing Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm with thrasher on this one. But for the record I don't like these 327 build threads however I'll offer my opinion. If it were mine I'd run a set of the EQ vortec heads, flat top pistons, standard performer intake and cam conservatively.

The only pistons in my catalog for a 327 are rebuilder type slugs that would wind up .046" in the hole, not real good for quench unless the block is decked....a lot. Another option for your giant domes is to have them milled down to a usable size. Also bear in mind that a 63 327 is a small journal block with the puny 11/32 rods that were prone to exiting the block at high rpm and the harmonic dampener just pressed on with no bolt provision that also like to go flying. I'm more than happy to work my "wizardry" (as slayer021175666 calls it) but I would seriously consider other routes. That 327 would bring good money from a vette guy, or nostalgia racer. At this point I would call it a wash I wouldn't run the 305 or a small journal 327.

10. TommyShameless

Well, poop

But, this is the kind of realness I'm looking for.