327 build...what to do?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by TommyShameless, Oct 5, 2016.

1. TommyShameless

TommyShameless New Member

Hey everyone!

Thanks to all of the help here, I have a plan! Here's what I'm going to do:

• Using the 327 block, the forged crank, the rods (whatever they are), and the forged pop-up pistons, I am going to add a Lunati retrofit hydraulic roller cam and roller rockers. The grind will be whatever Lunati suggests. They initially recommended the Voodoo cam, part #20120710LK, but I will be reconfirming this before placing the order.
    • I am going with Air Flow Research 180cc Eliminator aluminum heads with 75cc chambers and angle plugs.
    • I am going to keep the Edelbrock Performer intake and my Qjet for the time being.
    • I am going with 1 5/8" primary long tube headers and a 2.5" exhaust out to the back, with chambered mufflers and an H pipe.
    • Before this all goes together I plan to disassemble the short block to have it boiled out, new cam bearings installed, new frost plugs, have the rods resized and the best possible rod bolts I can find installed.
    • I am also going to have the crank drilled and tapped for a harmonic balancer bolt.

Near as I can calculate, this should land me somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 peak ft. lbs. of torque at around 3500 rpm, and my peak horsepower should be close to 350 by around 5k. I could be off a bit, but I do suspect this will be a fun little engine for a street car that, realistically, I baby the heck out of anyway. I also calculate about 10.5:1 compression when taking into consideration a realistic deck clearance and normal head gaskets, so I should be okay on premium gas.

I need to explore my distributor options. I may initially use the stock HEI while trying to figure that out. Not too sure. I doubt I need an MSD box or anything like that, though.

I will end up with a few dollars in this at the end of the day, but I'm in no rush, I live in NYC and don't drive ever, so the car just sits safe and sound in my Dad's garage out in the suburbs. I'm just going to take my time, buy good parts and feel better about things when all is said and done.

Thanks again to all of you!!

2. mark wagner

mark wagner Veteran Member

not quite that easy- the 327 is a small journal block, the 305 is a large journal block, you would have to cut the crank to fit the journals, also the 305 pistons are too small for the 327 bore. the 327 and 350 both have 4 inch bores

3. rockheadrocks

rockheadrocks Veteran Member

Honestly, that's more money than I would spend, but I'm cheap by nature. That being said, you're leaving quite a bit on the table with that cam and those heads by staying with the 2101 Performer. I strongly recommend stepping up to the Performer Rpm Q-Jet.

4. TommyShameless

My only concern about doing that is the height of the intake. I have a shaker hood, and went through a great deal of trouble to track down a factory small block chevy shaker setup to make it look as pro as possible. Even then, and in spite of the claim that the Performer intake is supposed to be the same height as the factory intake that setup would have sat on, it still had to be modified slightly. So, if the Performer RPM is taller, I'm hosed / back to square one.

Looks like I'd better check to see what the height is, but I suspect it would be a taller intake.

5. TommyShameless

And just as I suspected, the Performer RPM intake is 3/4 of an inch taller at the carb mount. Looks like that's a project for a later day.